Sperlonga Off The Beaten Path Tips by NonnaLou
Sperlonga Off The Beaten Path: 6 reviews and 5 photos
Via Appia, Minturno © L.Shapcott
The infamous highway, the Via Appia , is a testament to the remarkable organisational and engineering ability of the Romans. Construction of this, the first and most famous of the ancient Roman roads, was commenced in 312 AD by the Appius Claudius Caecus. It was called the "Queen of Roads" (Regina Viarum) and was to be the main means of communication between Rome to the south, to Capua, and was later extended down to Brindisi, with a total length of more than 563 km (350 miles).
Just outside Itri (4.5 km towards Fondi) original sections of this road have been unearthed to create a walkway through the mountains. It was paved with smoothly fitting blocks of hard wearing lava.
More Roman remains can be found in Fondi, Formia and Minturno.
For more information visit my Itri, Formia and Minturno pages at Virtual Tourist
or my personal website at: http://trecancelle.shapcott-family.com
Itri Countryside © L.Shapcott
Venture away from the coast and take the SP 105 road signposted "Itri".
You will travel up a meandering road through spectacular mountain scenery until you will eventually arrive at the sweet little town of Itri , nestling in the foothills of the Aurunci Mountains.
Explore the Medieval Town with its magnificent castle and ancient churches.
For more information regarding Itri please view my Itri Pages at Virtual Tourist
or feel free to contact me at:
Near to the Grotta di Tiberio there is a Nature Reserve called the Blu Oasis.
Here the marine waters are so clean that Poseidon seaweed grows freely.
These waters have been awarded the European Blue Flag award for cleanliness for several years now.
More Reviews (20)
- FREE CLIMBING NEAR SPERLONGA
- See All Nearby Itri's Feast of The Madonna Della...
- See All Local Itri Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- See All Sample ALL THE ICE CREAMS !!!
- Tea Bags !!!
NonnaLou's Related Pages
Sperlonga Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sperlonga, a place to get in touch with yourself"
- "What the doctor ordered"
- "Sperlonga, South Lazio"
- "summer on the beach"
- "s p e r l o n g a"
- "Seaside at Sperlonga"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sperlonga
- Hotels in Sperlonga
- Transportation in Sperlonga
- Shopping in Sperlonga
- Warnings and Dangers in Sperlonga
- See All...
Explore the World
- Koloa Hotels
- Ningbo Hotels
- Silanguin Island Hotels
- Kochi Hotels
- Great Stirrup Cay
- La Grande Motte
- Berat Off The Beaten Path
- Dalyan Off The Beaten Path
- Funchal Off The Beaten Path
- Brooklyn Off The Beaten Path
- Inle Lake Off The Beaten Path
- Sabang Off The Beaten Path
- Delft Off The Beaten Path
- Curitiba Off The Beaten Path
- Multan Off The Beaten Path
- Kusadasi Off The Beaten Path
- Aegina Island Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Sperlonga
- 23 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Sperlonga?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sperlonga
Photos in SperlongaSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Itri Intro, 26 reviews, 34 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sperlonga Intro, 23 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Gaeta Intro, 5 reviews, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Atina Intro, 6 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Formia Intro, 3 reviews, 13 photos, 2 travelogues
- Terracina Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cassino Intro, 3 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Minturno Intro, 1 review, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lazio Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Campodimele Intro, 2 photos
Latest Sperlonga hotel reviews
- Virgilio Grand Hotel
- 41 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013