"SAIPAN - a Paradise Island" Top 5 Page for this destination Saipan by Eurasian68
Saipan Travel Guide: 91 reviews and 299 photos
Saipan is the largest of the Northern Marianas, a chain of tropical islands in the Pacific Ocean. It enjoys US Commonwealth status and is one of the most beautiful resort destinations in Micronesia. Saipan is the main island and is 1650 miles east of Manila. 1700 miles north of Papua New Guinea and 3720 miles west of Hawaii. The Mariana Islands mark the dividing line between the Pacific Ocean and the Philippine Sea. The peak of a submerged mountain, the island of Saipan rises more than 36.000 feet above the floor of the Mariana Trench, one of the unseen natural wonders of the world that dives to a depth of 38.635 feet.
Discovered in 1521 by Ferdinand Magellen on his last trans-Pacific voyage to the famed Spice Islands. Saipan and its neighbouring islands were variously over the centries, colonised by the Spanish, influenced by the Germans and occupied by the Japanese. The Americans came in after the World War II. Today, the people of Saipan and the rest of the Northern Mariana Islands are a diverse mixture of local Pacific islanders, Caucasians and Asians.
Saipan is a popular resort destination,endowed with blue lagoons, white sandy beaches and verdant hills where swimming, diving, parasailing, boating, fishing and snorkelling are just some of the island's main attractions. Golf is also a popular pastime in Saipan with five challenging courses, designed by famous PGA players such as Larry Nelson and Greg Norman.
The island is about 13 miles long and 5 miles wide with Garapan, its largest town, rich in duty-free shops and a number of designer outlets.
- In a nutshell:A Pearl in the Ocean
Enjoy the wonders of the deep, on an underwater tour of the Saipan lagoon. You will see beautiful corals, schools of... more travel advice
A huge limestone cavern connected to the sea by underwater passages. A popular dive for advanced scuba-divers. more travel advice
Eurasian68's Related Pages
Saipan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "SAIPAN - a Paradise Island"
- "Life on the quiet paradise of CNMI"
- "Saipan, Northern Mariana Islands"
- "Saipan Dream"
- "Saipan: Welcome Japanese Money"
- "Saipan - Northern Mariana Islands"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saipan
- Hotels in Saipan
- Transportation in Saipan
- Restaurants in Saipan
- Shopping in Saipan
- Warnings and Dangers in Saipan
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Saipan
- 18 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Saipan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saipan
Top 10 Pages
- Hong Kong Intro, 24 reviews, 25 photos
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos
- Seoul Intro, 1 review, 32 photos, 4 travelogues
- Camaret-sur-Mer Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saipan Intro, 18 reviews, 13 photos
- Singapore Intro, 10 reviews, 19 photos
- Garmisch-Partenkirchen Intro, 4 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kramsach Intro, 4 reviews, 21 photos
- Kyongju Intro, 8 reviews, 14 photos
- Croatia Intro, 3 reviews, 18 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (11)
Top Saipan hotels
- Garapan Hotels
- 22 Hotels