"Guardalavaca - a great place to start" Top 5 Page for this destination Guardalavaca by TOFFY
Guardalavaca Travel Guide: 47 reviews and 138 photos
Guardalavaca, advertised in the package deals as "Holguin", would be my choice for the first time Cuba traveller. Not only does this area offer you the comforts you are looking for - the white sand, the blue blue water, the nice hotels, scuba diving, parasailing, snorkelling and fishing, the music and the shopping - it also lends you the opportunity to see a little of real Cuba, just going about its business. Not far from the hotels, is beautiful countryside, interesting excursions and wonderful opportunities to meet Cubans. Many of the hotels offer low key tours to schools and and medical centres, or just a drive to another local village .
Guardalavaca is a tourist centre where you will find commercial outlets, restaurants, and artists'market, live music & drinks on the Cuban beach, lots of T-shirts for sale, lots of taxis, horses & carts and sailboats for rent. Please note, though, that Guardalavaca is not an historical town. In fact, it was never a town, but simply a centre for tourism.
While some hotels are part of the centre (Club Amigo, Las Brisas), many of the hotels advertised are on beaches to the west, 10 or 15 kms away- Playa Esmeralda, Playa Turquesa or Playa Pesquero. All of these beaches are beautiful and each offers their unique characters.
One of the great advantages to this area, is that within close proximity to your hotel, whether by taxi (and there are lots of them) bicycle or rented car, are some very interesting excursions (see my tips) in some of Cuba's most beautiful countryside. The road from Guaradalavaca to Banes is one of Cuba's most scenic and photographed. Everywhere, the local people will welcome you and will be pleased to assist if you need help. Do not be afraid of "bad guys" There aren't any.
For further info on day trips, see my pages on Banes, Gibara and Mayari.
- Pros:Everything you need in one place
- Cons:Can't think of one
- In a nutshell:Perfect for the first time Cuba visitor
With the recent (2013) changes in Cuban law, Cubans are allowed to be more entrepenureal. The result is a lot of old... more travel advice
Going east from the front door of Las Brisas Hotel in Guardalavaca, follow the paved road for 3 or 4 minutes. You will... more travel advice
TOFFY's Related Pages
Guardalavaca Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Guardalavaca - a great place to start"
- "Guardalavaca, Cuba"
- "Brisas Guardalavaca"
- "My first and probably last all-inclusive deal"
- "Most Beautiful Place in all the World..."
- "Guardalavaca - Colourful area of Northern Cuba"
- "Brisas Guardalavaca"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Guardalavaca
- Hotels in Guardalavaca
- Transportation in Guardalavaca
- Nightlife in Guardalavaca
- Restaurants in Guardalavaca
- Shopping in Guardalavaca
- Warnings and Dangers in Guardalavaca
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Guardalavaca
- 20 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Guardalavaca?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Guardalavaca
Photos in GuardalavacaSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guardalavaca Intro, 20 reviews, 30 photos
- Cuba Intro, 18 reviews, 14 photos
- Bayamo Intro, 5 reviews, 15 photos
- Santiago de Cuba Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos
- Banes Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baracoa Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Manzanillo Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos
- Cienfuegos Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Gibara Intro, 1 review, 8 photos
- Remedios Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos