"Baracoa - Way off the beaten path" Top 5 Page for this destination Baracoa by TOFFY
Baracoa Travel Guide: 132 reviews and 224 photos
If you have the time, a trip to Baracoa in the far east of Cuba is worth the energy it takes to get there. Isolated from the rest of the island, accessible by boat only, until some time in the 60's, Baracoa has developed all on its own, and continues to just do its own thing, unaware of the rest of Cuba. It is important in that it stands as the first of the seven towns first settled by Diego Velazquez (1511).
Leaving from Santiago, take a good map. The road follows a good highway for a while, then turns to lesser roads that take you through small villages on the way to Guantanamo.
As you pass through a very desert-like environment with plenty of cacti, and interesting land forms, you can't help noticing the beauty of sea and desert joining. Keep an eye on your map, and before the road turns north, there is a side trip to be taken to the eastern point, where there is a light house.
Turning north, you head high over the mountains, into the rainforest. Watch for fern trees. What a ride!
WARNING: Take food with you. After Guantanamo, there are few restaurants, some of which have NO FOOD.
And when you arrive, make sure you stroll through the streets at night and fill you ears with glorious music.
- Pros:untouched by modern times
- Cons:hard to get to
- In a nutshell:Worth the effort
A drive out of town in a westerly direction will promise you some nice adventure.....a chocolate factory, a large river... more travel advice
Even if you are a traveller who feels if you've seen one cathedral you've seen them all, IT IS A MUST to stop in the... more travel advice
TOFFY's Related Pages
Baracoa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Baracoa - "Land of waters""
- "ah! to come back to Baracoa after Travel and Work"
- "RickL's new Baracoa Page"
- "Baracoa - Way off the beaten path"
- "Stranding in sight of the top from El Junci"
- "Baracoa - Cuban Capital"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Baracoa
- Hotels in Baracoa
- Transportation in Baracoa
- Nightlife in Baracoa
- Restaurants in Baracoa
- Warnings and Dangers in Baracoa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Baracoa
- 5 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Baracoa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Baracoa
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guardalavaca Intro, 20 reviews, 30 photos
- Cuba Intro, 18 reviews, 14 photos
- Bayamo Intro, 5 reviews, 15 photos
- Santiago de Cuba Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos
- Banes Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baracoa Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Manzanillo Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos
- Cienfuegos Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Gibara Intro, 1 review, 8 photos
- Remedios Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos