"Eilat for Relaxation" Eilat by Martman

Eilat Travel Guide: 386 reviews and 1,148 photos

This beautiful and relaxing city has a population of about sixty thousand.

I was in Eilat for a few days. It was the most relaxed time of my life. I suggest visiting Eilat as a form of therapy. You just forget your problems by simply relaxing at the sea! Looking across the bay to the left, is a clear view of Aqaba, the port city of Jordan.

When I visited Eilat, Jordan and Israel had not made official peace yet. Apparently the mayors of each city were on good terms. Next time I am in Eilat, I hope to cross the border and visit Petra!

Many years ago, for no apparent reason, a horse in Aqaba ran into the sea and swam across to Eilat. The horse was returned to its owners at an arranged venuee of the border.

The large picture above was taken from the entrance to my hotel. It illustrates our proximity to the sea.

I do know that there is a short Hebrew poem about Eilat. In case the reader speaks Hebrew, the poem reads:

Me Eilat ad le Metulla, od lo matzati af betulla.

What is most startling is the proximity between Eilat and Aqaba. There is a small space of neutral ground separating the two towns. In fact, they are closer to each other than most areas in their own country. Aqaba is the closest town to Eilat, closer than any other town in Israel. This does startle if one considers that these are countries that were once at war.

Depending on your taste; this is either a plus or minus. Reaching Eilat (other than by air) requires driving for a few hours through desert (Negev). This is what makes the country so fascinating. It is so small, yet so much squashed into the tiny size. As tiny as it is, there is still space for a desert!

Next time I visit Eilat, there is a border on each side that I would love to cross. I can visit Taba one side and Aqaba on the other!

• Pros:EXTREMELY RELAXING
  • Cons:relatively far from other major cities in the country
  • In a nutshell:Please enjoy the beach. This city is built for tourists.
  • Last visit to Eilat: Jul 1991