"Gwen Went And Sang About It" Top 5 Page for this destination Harajuku by tigerjapan
Harajuku Travel Guide: 38 reviews and 141 photos
Harajuku - where streets have names like; Cat Street and Killer Street, is where the young get funky and the funky stay young. Recently featured in a song by Gwen Stefani Harajuku is famous as a funky little shopping district. People get dressed up to come here. You have weekend Goths, punks, techno-coloured freaks, throwbacks to the “gal” look (of Shibuya fame), rock-a-billies and other generally produced looks. It lacks a lot of substance, but it’s fun for tourists to see. Most of these people “do” their look for the weekend (or day they go there) they are happy to have their photo taken and many of them hope to be asked to be in one of the street magazines that shoot in the Harajuku area.
If you like a fashion you see, you can pop into a number of stores and pick up your own mini-top hat or some surgical gauze to wrap yourself up in. Some of the less obvious, less showy clothing is where the real inspiration can be found. A lot of fads are started in Harajuku, but once it’s hit it is EVERYWHERE!
As a general rule I think it’s important that we remember this… some things that a Japanese girl (or guy) can pull of cannot be pulled off by someone not from Japan. I have seen some foreigners who live here give it a go… and lets just say, they shouldn’t have! Sundays are generally the best days to see the Japanese kids in the costumes.
Harajuku has a lot of cafes, restaurants and interesting shops. It is also very close to the boutiques of Omotesando/Aoyama and the shopping district of Shibuya. Harajuku first came of it’s own in the year of the Tokyo Olympics (1964). The Olympic village was located nearby and the possibility of being able to meet someone famous drew people to the streets of Harajuku… they haven’t left since!
Sights of interest in Harajuku are; Takeshita Dori, Omotesando Dori, Meiji Jingu Shrine, Yoyogi Koen and any of the little streets that take your interest. Spend an afternoon here just wandering around. In summer Yoyogi Park is a great spot for a picnic or you can check out my restaurant tips.
This web-page has some funny Harajuku comments;
for more info on Harajuku
- Pros:Fun, good shopping and English widely spoken
- Cons:Can get a warped view of Japan and what Japanese are really like
- In a nutshell:If you come to Tokyo you just have to visit Harajuku
They offer Asian food with a twist, so that you might find for example leaves of basil in your fried rice, but sometimes... more travel advice
This restaurant is a part of a popular chain of restaurants that are in Tokyo and Osaka. The food is mainly asian and... more travel advice
tigerjapan's Related Pages
Harajuku Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Harajuku - Modern Fashion & Ancient Shrine"
- "Gwen Went And Sang About It"
- "HARAJUKU !"
- "fashion for teens and luxury items for adults"
- ">> bye bye "the oto-sans" "
- See All...
- Things to Do in Harajuku
- Hotels in Harajuku
- Transportation in Harajuku
- Restaurants in Harajuku
- Shopping in Harajuku
- Warnings and Dangers in Harajuku
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Harajuku
- 5 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Harajuku?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Harajuku
Photos in HarajukuSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo-to Intro, 82 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 32 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Takayama Intro, 15 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 20 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beppu Intro, 18 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination The Grampians Intro, 11 reviews, 23 photos
- Pompeii Intro, 33 photos, 4 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 9 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris 19 reviews, 11 photos
- Clare Intro, 17 reviews, 11 photos