"My Part Of Town - UENO, TOKYO" Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo-to by tigerjapan
Tokyo-to Travel Guide: 5,304 reviews and 14,311 photos
I live in Ueno, which is one of the cities within Tokyo. Ueno is part of ***amachi (the old "downtown" area).
***amachi is a great place to live. When I moved to Ueno there weren't too many foreign people around. Unlike Shibuya, Shinjuku and the newer areas of Tokyo, ***amachi still retains a lot of its original downtown feel. The newer areas of Tokyo are certainly more foreign-friendly (more people speak English etc), but living where I do has been a great experience for me.
Now, actually, recently a lot of people from many countries are living in my area. I often see other "gaijin" at the supermarket these days and I think "***amachi" is having resurgence in popularity.
***amachi is a wonderful place for tourists to visit. Nezu contains many traditional old wooden Edo houses; the Ueno Park and zoo are great family spots. Ueno also has a large number of art galleries and museums. One can't visit Tokyo without going to Asakusa and perhaps Kappabashi. So you see, ***amachi is truly a fantastic place.
VT doesn't currently list Ueno is Tokyo, but I have asked them to add it to the list and hopefully more people will then be able to share information and opinions on Ueno.
If you arrive at Narita airport and want to get into Tokyo the cheapest way, then you'll arrive at Ueno Keisei station (1000yen from airport to Ueno on local train). From here you can catch the JR lines or a number of subway lines to many destinations. Why not check-out Ueno while you're here. There is a free information desk in the Keisei station and much to see and do around Ueno. Wander the small fish, food and clothing market of Ameyoko or visit one of the galleries or museums situated in Ueno Park. If you are here for spring then don't miss the wonderful display of cherry blossoms in the park also.
P.S. VT reads a "bad" word in the name of the original downtown area, so it writes it like this: ***amachi. I assume knowing the name of this area would help visitors so it is S H I T A M A C H I ... okay... good.
If you're looking to save money I recommend:
There is a funny thing about VT and Tokyo-to. Tokyo-to is a prefecture. There is no such city as "Tokyo"... only a station called Tokyo. We people who dwell in Tokyo live in cities (wards) within the prefecture of Tokyo. There are 23 wards in Tokyo and they all have a lot of different aspects to them. I have asked VT to add them to the database, but they don't believe it's worth it. Shame really as you could learn a lot more about Tokyo and travel easier within it if you knew more about each ward, where it was located and what it had to offer. I look at states in other countries and they are divided according to the major cities within them... it's disappointing that we CAN'T GET VT TO DO THE SAME FOR JAPAN!!
- In a nutshell:Tokyo-to is a prefecture with 23 wards - each worth exploring!
This Tip Is Under Construction more travel advice
- See All Secondhand English Books
- See All Tokyo's Biggest Club (Gets the Biggest...
- Peak-hour on the subway
- Cherry Blossom Viewing Parties
tigerjapan's Related Pages
Tokyo-to Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tokyo - Blend of Modern City and Ancient Monuments"
- "Welcome to Tokyo"
- "My Part Of Town - UENO, TOKYO"
- "A Home away from Home..."
- "If you keen on knowing how a real Tokyo life is?"
- "Tsudoi 2007 (Asean Countries & China)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tokyo-to
- Hotels in Tokyo-to
- Transportation in Tokyo-to
- Nightlife in Tokyo-to
- Restaurants in Tokyo-to
- Shopping in Tokyo-to
- Warnings and Dangers in Tokyo-to
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tokyo-to
- 88 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 11 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Tokyo-to?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tokyo-to
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo-to Intro, 82 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 32 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Takayama Intro, 15 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 20 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beppu Intro, 18 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination The Grampians Intro, 11 reviews, 23 photos
- Pompeii Intro, 33 photos, 4 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 9 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris 19 reviews, 11 photos
- Clare Intro, 17 reviews, 11 photos