"The Clare Valley - Wine Tasting ... Pure Joy!" Clare by tigerjapan

Clare Travel Guide: 55 reviews and 134 photos

Clare

My Clare page covers the Clare Valley region. I have not divided the region into the towns in the area, but instead and covering the entire region on this page.

We spent one night and two days exploring the Clare Valley. We could have spent a lot longer - there was so much to see. Next time we thought we'd go for longer and include some other neighbouring towns. That being said, having longer in the wine region itself would be perfect too!

We found some great wines while there and bought them back to Japan. Of course, not as many made it back as we planned... we couldn't stop opening them when we got back to Adelaide.

We hired a car and between the four of us took turns driving... actually, I missed my turn as I was always far too willing to try all (and any) of the wines.

Crabtree Watervale was a great little winery and Annie's Lane also stands out in my memory.

Clare is a just one of South Australia’s wine producing regions. If you’re a fan of wine and food you should absolutely include Clare in your plans (alongside the Barossa Valley, McLaren Vale and the Coonawarra region).

The wine region is a great retreat, be it as a romantic getaway, or to simply escape.

The Clare Valley is an acclaimed wine region producing premium wines and also many fine restaurants. The picturesque scenery is stunning all year round, so visitors can enjoy the region at any time of year.

For those not interested in wine the region has a number of historical townships and places to explore for nature lovers.

Burra, to the East of the region, is one of Australia's most historic copper-mining towns. There is lots of wonderful "Aussie" scenery and off the beaten track adventures to be had.

Kapunda and the South are areas relatively untouched by modern development. These rural townships make for charming daytrips. In this area of The Clare Valley you can discover the rich pastoral & mining heritage of the region. Peaceful & tranquil, it really is a different side of Australia rarely seen by most tourists.

Some Wineries We Visited

There are over 40 wineries in the Clare Valley. We didn't get to them all, but we gave it our best shot! Some of them also run restaurants - much needed after a full day of wine tasting.

Here is a list of some of the wineries we visited:

Annie's Lane

Taylors

Tim Adams

Stringy Brae

Paulett Wines

Just go, honestly it was a great trip!

The Clare Valley is located approximately 1 1/2 hours from Adelaide. A beautiful drive and well worth the effort.

• Pros:Wine, food, rural Australia, friendly country people... wine!
  • In a nutshell:I cannot recommend it more! Fantastic!
  • Last visit to Clare: Aug 2004
  • Intro Updated Jan 8, 2007

• SURFIN7TH's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2006 at 7:12 AM

Southern Oz looks so dif. than the north. Nice Page.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2005 at 12:11 AM

Glad to have been of help. I'm rather partial to a drop of Annie's Lane Shiraz myself. Check bigbenba's homepage for a mention of it. leyle

• Kojidaiyo's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2005 at 5:38 PM

Enjoyed reading you Clare pages. There seems to be so many wineries.

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2004 at 7:02 PM

Gr8 intro & keep building the wineries you visited as must sees. The Clare is lovely, very different to the Barossa & very Aussie with all the gummies. I love them both!

tigerjapan

“Too much of a good thing is wonderful.”

Badges & Stats in Clare