"Slowly Trying To See The World" tigerjapan's Profile
Japan really has become my home.
When I first arrived in Japan (after some backpacking in Asia) I thought i'd probably stay a year and then move on. Here I am 5 years later and I still love living here.
Japan is a fantastically diverse place and I love that it is so removed from my upbringing. I am by no means an expert on Japan or it's traditions, but i hope that as I build my pages, I can give some (personal) insights into this country.
One of the best things about living in Japan is that travel within the country has so much to offer. That being said, it is also very expensive. By way of parenthesis, we are very lucky to be able to get quite good discount flights to International destinations from Japan.
Please feel free to mail or message me should you have any questions. I hope I can get this page moving soon.
In Japan the zodiac animal years receive more attention, and are more widely used in fortune-telling, than the zodiacal signs used in astrology. Like our star-signs the Chinese zodiac has 12 branches. In Japanese it is called Juunishi (literally 12 branches). For each of these branches an animal is assigned to each year (rather than month).
This year, 2007, is The Year of the Wild Boar, or "inoshishi" in Japanese.
The juunishi system is believed to have originated in China during the Yin Dynasty (c. 1600 - 1000 B.C.).
So ... enjoy The Year of the Wild Boar!!
Returning to Australia every year or so (for the past few years) has meant that I've started to see parts of the country I never had before.
Australia is one of the most beautiful countries I have ever visited and often taken for granted by Australians themselves. The landscape diverse and has so much to offer.
I am such a fan of the smaller cities and towns and must say Victoria and South Australia are two of my favourites. I am yet to explore much of the other states, but hope to soon.
I strongly recommend the following (lesser visited) places:
The Great Ocean Road
Coonawarra / Penola
And for city folk: Sydney for the weather, Melbourne for "the scene", and Adelaide for the food and wine.
Australian pies... what can I say? You can't go past chicken pies or veggie pasties.
Australian bakeries are not to be missed and even worth using as a stopping off point on long trips... we found some amazing country bakeries and I've since considered writing a guide to country Australian bakeries... I wonder if a publisher would finance that research?
One can only dream!
Personal Pages (1)
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 538 Reviews
- 583 Photos
- 24 Countries
- 86 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
- tigerjapan and SURFIN7TH are now friends.
- Posted in Travel São Paulo Forum "Guide/Driver"
- Wrote a Review Secondhand English Books in Tokyo-to Shopping
- Commented on one of ATXtraveler's Barossa travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Master-of-Nets Gardens"
- created a Beppu Travel Page "Beppu - Hot Spring Heaven (... and Hell)"
updated their Profile Page "Slowly Trying To See The World"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo-to Intro, 82 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 32 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Takayama Intro, 15 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 20 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beppu Intro, 18 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination The Grampians Intro, 11 reviews, 23 photos
- Pompeii Intro, 33 photos, 4 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 9 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris 19 reviews, 11 photos
- Clare Intro, 17 reviews, 11 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22165 Reviews - 53882 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3079 Reviews - 5774 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15523 Reviews - 30894 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23062 Reviews - 47262 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11941 Reviews - 26475 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1928 Reviews - 3713 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8346 Reviews - 17012 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1909 Reviews - 4464 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4278 Reviews - 8803 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3341 Reviews - 7498 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2036 Reviews - 3787 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7633 Reviews - 19478 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos