"Ballina - not just on the Pacific Highway!" Top 5 Page for this destination Ballina by Colzy

Ballina Travel Guide: 67 reviews and 194 photos

Ballina is on the Pacific Highway route from Sydney to Brisbane and as such many people only know it by its famous large, orange shellfish (read my 'must see' tips to find out what I mean by this) and its McDonald's which is a popular eating spot for travelers on this long drive.

I grew up only about 7km from Ballina and thus I am hopeful I can provide a different insight into this beautiful coastal town. Ballina is situated on the far north coast of NSW, about 8 hours drive north of Sydney and 2.5 hours south of Brisbane. Flanked by Byron Bay on one side, even in the region Ballina is quite often underrated in my opinion. In reality, Ballina is full of beautiful surf beaches with lots of room for the kids to play sand castles on the shore line. It has a relaxed, laidback lifestyle and has every amenity without being touristic like Byron has become.

• Intro Written Aug 8, 2005

• RhineRoll's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2009 at 2:17 PM

very different indeed!

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Dec 7, 2008 at 2:21 AM

i now the original ballina in ireland, but this place looks very 'home and away'. lucky buggers.

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2006 at 12:37 AM

Another great page, Colleen...and another potential stop off on my journey up the coast! :-) The Big Prawn alone makes it a worthwhile stop-off ;-) Seriously, I've not seen any of Australia's famous "Big Things" yet - the prawn would be a great start! :-)

• MURRA's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2006 at 8:17 AM

big statues of animals or fish are common in canada too. we have large easter egg in alberta , moose in hearst , big goose in wawa ontario

• unravelau's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2005 at 2:56 AM

I must try out your restaurant on my next trip to the area. Great page Coleen.

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2005 at 12:24 AM

Next time you're back here try Mary Martin's in town. Good food & coffee there. (should build a tip on it shouldn't I? lol!). I was staggered last year to see how little Lennox had grown. Lived @ Uralba my last year of college.

Colzy

“'A naked man fears no pickpockets'”

Badges & Stats in Ballina

Have you been to Ballina?