"Tulum; Mayan Temples at the Sea !" Tulum by Dutchnatasja
Tulum Travel Guide: 466 reviews and 1,380 photos
The most impressive structure is El Castillo. It is located almost directly in the centre of the site. It is a large limestone pyramid that overlooks the cliff face, and is surrounded by a couple of smaller temples and a courtyard. Aside from its role as a temple, it may well have served as a beacon or lighthouse. Even without a light it would have been and important landmark for mariners along an otherwise monotonously featureless coastline.
The main constructions found in Tulum are:
* El Castillo (the castle), a temple with two columns portraying serpents
* A niche, where the Descending God is located
* The Temple of Paintings, containing frescos with sacred colors
Tulum’s greatest attraction is its location. It stands on a bluff facing the rising sun looking out on views on the Caribbean. The view from above is spectacular. Especially to see the ruins set against the blue Caribbean waters.
The name Tulum comes from the Yucatec word for "wall". It is likely that the city’s original name was something like Zama or "place of the dawn", which makes sense when you see the sites’ dramatic outlook toward the east.
Tulum ruins are located 130 km south of Cancun. It's location overlooking the Caribbean makes' it perhaps the most impressive, and the most visited site.
- In a nutshell:Fantastic old ruins overlooking the turquoise waters of Mexico.
Dutchnatasja's Related Pages
Tulum Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Ruins and the Cove of Tulum & Caribbean Sea"
- "TULUM - maya ruins, white beaches and turquise sea"
- "Ahhhhh. The Yucatan"
- "TULUM ---- ESTADO DE QUINTANA ROO"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tulum
- Hotels in Tulum
- Transportation in Tulum
- Nightlife in Tulum
- Restaurants in Tulum
- Shopping in Tulum
- Warnings and Dangers in Tulum
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tulum
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Tulum?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tulum
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 82 reviews, 218 photos, 5 travelogues
- Key West Intro, 35 reviews, 125 photos, 5 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 24 reviews, 69 photos, 4 travelogues
- New York State Intro, 12 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Savannah Intro, 26 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Florida Keys Intro, 10 reviews, 68 photos, 5 travelogues
- Miami Beach Intro, 20 reviews, 49 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brooklyn Heights Intro, 2 reviews, 49 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sarasota Intro, 3 reviews, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Texas Intro, 8 reviews, 20 photos
No friends yet.