"Newcastle Under Lyme.....My Home Town!" Newcastle under Lyme by DaveRowley

Newcastle under Lyme Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 41 photos

WHERE WE COME FROM....

This is a Winding Wheel from a Coalmine Pit Shaft....

It's a monument at Stoke-On-Trent's Chatterley Whitfield Mining Museum (sadly now closed due to fire damage) at Brindley Ford on the outskirts of Newcastle Borough

My Grandfathers were both Miner's and I am very proud of that fact...

This is where modern communities were formed; not the old class divisional system of the 19th and early 20th Centuries, and more recently the Greedy Individualism of the late 20th Century.

The area of North Staffordshire was bristling with mines such as Brymbo (Chesterton), Silverdale, Wolstanton (deepest Pit Shaft in Europe), Hem Heath, Florence and Sneyd to name most; as well as the British Steel Works (Shelton) and other heavily Industrialised Factories (Michelin & Rists).
The Pottery Companies were far too many to mention here, and were dotted all across the local landscape.

Consequently, not the cleanest of areas in the Country, the people were a strong, friendly and self-sufficient Bunch...who got on with the cards they were dealt with.

Recent decimation of all these Industries and well paid jobs has seriously eroded the Community life in the Potteries, to the point where I'm afraid it's quickly becoming one large faceless Distribution Centre that pays low wages....sad but that's the way I see it.

However, despite all of the above..and constant sniping from National Media and Broadcasters (and so called TV/Radio Stars who come from "New Money" areas)...this is my home; and despite all the wonderful places I have been in the world..there is no better feeling than meeting up with my brothers and mates, and telling them all that they, Oatcakes, Lobby, Wrights Pies and the wonderful Stoke City are "WHERE WE COME FROM"

Thankyou!

Newcastle Under Lyme

Newcastle or 'Castle as the locals know it lesser well known than its equally named bigger City from the North. It lies in the Northern reaches of Staffordshire (The Creative County). It is a Borough rather than a City, and is surrounded by the City of Stoke On Trent and the Counties of Cheshire, Shropshire and mid Staffordshire.

I will add more detail later!

The Queen's Garden's in the centre of town..

Newcastle Town Centre hasn't quite got the hustle and bustle of the nearby Hanley City Centre or a bigger Metroplitan City, however, the Garden's are a popular place to eat your lunch on a Summer working day and watch the world go by....

• Pros:I'm fierecely Proud of my Home Town and neighbouring City of Stoke On Trent
  • Cons:Some areas are run down but other areas of beauty exist..and the people ar warm and friendly!
  • In a nutshell:Down To Earth...Working Class & Proud Of It!
  • Intro Updated Apr 5, 2005

• slothtraveller's Profile Photo
    May 12, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Good Newcastle page, Dave. I've got plenty of coal miners in my family history, some from Wolstanton too!

• Jul 1, 2009 at 2:05 PM

A very good page with plenty of details about some of the best pubs in Newcastle, but I just thought I'd say this pub is called The Arnold Machin not Wetherspoons.

• Babzz's Profile Photo
    Feb 29, 2008 at 7:27 PM

I really enjoyed the pics! Brings back fond memories...I loved my shopping trips into town when I was at Keele, and the movies...I miss it (and oatcakes!!!).

• Prokonich's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2006 at 4:59 AM

Happy Birthday :-)

• littlesam1's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2005 at 7:53 AM

Small towns are always fascinating.

DaveRowley Lives Here!

DaveRowley

“17000 miles per hour..........we are all travellers!!!!”

Badges & Stats in Newcastle under Lyme

Have you been to Newcastle under Lyme?