"Newcastle Under Lyme.....My Home Town!" Newcastle under Lyme by DaveRowley
Newcastle under Lyme Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 41 photos
This is a Winding Wheel from a Coalmine Pit Shaft....
It's a monument at Stoke-On-Trent's Chatterley Whitfield Mining Museum (sadly now closed due to fire damage) at Brindley Ford on the outskirts of Newcastle Borough
My Grandfathers were both Miner's and I am very proud of that fact...
This is where modern communities were formed; not the old class divisional system of the 19th and early 20th Centuries, and more recently the Greedy Individualism of the late 20th Century.
The area of North Staffordshire was bristling with mines such as Brymbo (Chesterton), Silverdale, Wolstanton (deepest Pit Shaft in Europe), Hem Heath, Florence and Sneyd to name most; as well as the British Steel Works (Shelton) and other heavily Industrialised Factories (Michelin & Rists).
The Pottery Companies were far too many to mention here, and were dotted all across the local landscape.
Consequently, not the cleanest of areas in the Country, the people were a strong, friendly and self-sufficient Bunch...who got on with the cards they were dealt with.
Recent decimation of all these Industries and well paid jobs has seriously eroded the Community life in the Potteries, to the point where I'm afraid it's quickly becoming one large faceless Distribution Centre that pays low wages....sad but that's the way I see it.
However, despite all of the above..and constant sniping from National Media and Broadcasters (and so called TV/Radio Stars who come from "New Money" areas)...this is my home; and despite all the wonderful places I have been in the world..there is no better feeling than meeting up with my brothers and mates, and telling them all that they, Oatcakes, Lobby, Wrights Pies and the wonderful Stoke City are "WHERE WE COME FROM"
Newcastle or 'Castle as the locals know it lesser well known than its equally named bigger City from the North. It lies in the Northern reaches of Staffordshire (The Creative County). It is a Borough rather than a City, and is surrounded by the City of Stoke On Trent and the Counties of Cheshire, Shropshire and mid Staffordshire.
I will add more detail later!
Newcastle Town Centre hasn't quite got the hustle and bustle of the nearby Hanley City Centre or a bigger Metroplitan City, however, the Garden's are a popular place to eat your lunch on a Summer working day and watch the world go by....
- Pros:I'm fierecely Proud of my Home Town and neighbouring City of Stoke On Trent
- Cons:Some areas are run down but other areas of beauty exist..and the people ar warm and friendly!
- In a nutshell:Down To Earth...Working Class & Proud Of It!
regular Wednesday, Friday and Saturday haunt... not sure but smart casual is safe... more travel advice
Eating and Drinking in the day...Drinking at night..... too posh for me....haha Aren't sure....long time since I went... more travel advice
- PMT as we know them but First Travel...
- See All Pub Food from Bradwell...
- See All The Town Centre...
DaveRowley's Related Pages
Newcastle under Lyme Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Newcastle Under Lyme.....My Home Town!"
- "U-N-D-E-R _______ C-O-N-S-T-R-U-C-T-I-O-N !"
- "Near the Peaks and the Potteries"
- "A nice little British town near my residence"
- "Newcastle under Lyme"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Newcastle under Lyme
- Hotels in Newcastle under Lyme
- Transportation in Newcastle under Lyme
- Nightlife in Newcastle under Lyme
- Restaurants in Newcastle under Lyme
- Shopping in Newcastle under Lyme
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Newcastle under Lyme
- 31 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Newcastle under Lyme?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Newcastle under Lyme
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "and there's me trying to show off..."
- Wrote a Review Popular amongst the Younger people... in Newcastle under Lyme Nightlife
- Uploaded a Photo to "Popular amongst the Younger people..."
- updated a Newcastle under Lyme Travel Page "Newcastle Under Lyme.....My Home Town!"
Photos in Newcastle under LymeSee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- Newcastle under Lyme Intro, 31 reviews, 35 photos
- Sydney Intro, 4 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Huntington Beach Intro, 21 reviews, 24 photos
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 2 reviews, 42 photos, 5 travelogues
- Durban Intro, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Alice Springs Intro, 3 reviews, 22 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kyoto Intro, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Adelaide River Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 1 review, 8 photos, 2 travelogues
- Melbourne 4 reviews, 4 photos