"Hutt River Province ~ Independent State in WA" Northampton by icyjo24
Northampton Travel Guide: 51 reviews and 95 photos
Hutt River Province is an independent principality located 75km northwest of Northampton. This independent land was created on 21 April 1970 when famer Leonard Casley, who was unhappy with the government quotas on wheat production, seceded from the Commonwealth of Australia.
Hutt River Province is also the only principality in the world that was declared without bloodshed. Despite attempts by the WA government to overturn the secession, Prince Leonard and Princess Shirley remain the monarchs of HRP more than 30 years later since the secession.
Currently, they and their descendants continue to farm sheep on the land. However, they do not have to pay taxes and they have no entitlement to Australian government health or social security benefitsYou can also find a post office, gift shop that sells stamps, currency and souvenirs that provide legitimacy to the province. HRP also has its own flag, postal system, constitution and church. Do remember to bring your passport so that you can get it stamped by Prince Leonard.
We stayed in Northbrooks Farm during our last night of our 7 Day Perth to Exmouth Tour with Travelabout Outback... more travel advice
icyjo24's Related Pages
Northampton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE HERITAGE LISTED TOWN OF NORTHAMPTON"
- "Hutt River Province ~ Independent State in WA"
- "Keeweechic's Northampton / Hutt River Province"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Northampton
- Hotels in Northampton
- Transportation in Northampton
- Restaurants in Northampton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Northampton
- 4 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Northampton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Northampton
Top 10 Pages
- Singapore Intro, 23 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Luang Prabang Intro, 28 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ko Similan Intro, 15 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
- Perth Intro, 22 reviews, 23 photos
- Ko Khai Intro, 44 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melaka Intro, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Pulau Redang Intro, 5 reviews, 30 photos, 3 travelogues
- Northern Thailand Intro, 33 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rottnest Island Intro, 16 reviews, 16 photos
- Chiang Mai Intro, 9 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue