"Koh Similan.. Jewels of the Andaman Sea" Top 5 Page for this destination Ko Similan by icyjo24
Ko Similan Travel Guide: 81 reviews and 418 photos
This group of nine beautiful islands in the Andaman Sea, located about 70km off the coast of Khao Lak is known as the 'Mu Koh Similan National Park', established as a marine national park in the 1980s. The islands are named 'Similan Islands' as 'Similan' means nine in the Malay Language. The trip to the islands is a gruelling 3 to 4 hour journey by boat or a liveaboard. The islands are only opened for snorkelling and diving from November to April every year as the waters will be too choppy for the rest of the year. On the first day of our trip, the waters were choppy and the slow ride cause me to become seasick. Usually, I don't suffer from that. So.. remember to take anti-seasick pills if you are the kind who will be affected. However, the journey is definitely worth it once you step into the tropical paradise of Mu Koh Similan National Park. Of all the islands I have been so far in Southeast Asia, this group of islands is the BEST of all.....
Many of the islands have beautiful white beaches with turquoise waters. Visibility in the water is also good in many spots. In a nutshell, this group of islands can be considered as a world-class diving site. However, I was there on a liveaboard that specializes in snorkelling trip. Now, I'm feeling so inspired to learn scuba diving.
Similan Islands, I will definitely be back again.....
I was not as lucky as the other snorkellers from my boat as they saw marine life such as turtles, that I didnt get to see. Either my eyes were playing tricks on me or I'm just too blind. However, I saw many nemos (clownfish), a sea snake, a trumpet fish, barracudas, two octopuses, numerous colourful fishes and beautiful corals. Despite the strong waves and currents, I still manage to capture some good underwater shots here. The photographs would have been better if I was on a dive trip, as the water was rather deep at many spots that we went. However, the spots that we snorkel around Island 1 and 2 were great as they were shallower and visibility was good. These spots are closed to divers.
Check out my five travelogues below for more underwater and island scenery pictures...
We pass by most or all of the 9 islands but we only stop at some for snorkelling throughout the 3 days. Here are the names of the 9 islands
Island No 1 - Ko Hu-Yong
Island No 2 - Ko Payang
Island No 3 - Ko Payan
Island No 4 - Ko Mieng
Island No 5 - Ko Haa
Island No 6 - Ko Payu
Island No 7 - Ko Hin Pu Sa
Island No 8 - Ko Similan
Island No 9 - Ko Ba Ngu
- Pros:Truly Paradise
- Cons:Can't think of any...
The East of Eden is located on the east coast of Island No 7, Koh Payu. This is a good spot for divers or snorkellers to... more travel advice
This is the longest white sandy beach which is located on Ko Hu-Yong (Island No 1). However, only snorkelling is allowed... more travel advice
icyjo24's Related Pages
Ko Similan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Similan Islands National Park"
- "Koh Similan.. Jewels of the Andaman Sea"
- "Similans: Some of the Best Diving in the World!"
- "Similan - did I tell You that I love You?"
- "Similan Island Paradise of the Travellers"
- "Similian Islands"
- "Similan Islands"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ko Similan
- Hotels in Ko Similan
- Transportation in Ko Similan
- Nightlife in Ko Similan
- Restaurants in Ko Similan
- Warnings and Dangers in Ko Similan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ko Similan
- 15 Reviews
- 57 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Ko Similan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ko Similan
Top 10 Pages
- Singapore Intro, 23 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Luang Prabang Intro, 28 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ko Similan Intro, 15 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
- Perth Intro, 22 reviews, 23 photos
- Ko Khai Intro, 44 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melaka Intro, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Pulau Redang Intro, 5 reviews, 30 photos, 3 travelogues
- Northern Thailand Intro, 33 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rottnest Island Intro, 16 reviews, 16 photos
- Chiang Mai Intro, 9 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue