"Koh Khai" Ko Khai by icyjo24

Ko Khai Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 107 photos

Beautiful marine life in danger

This island is a stopover point during the return journey to Phuket for most day trips to Koh Phi Phi. Its a small island with white beaches and an abundance of colourful marine life, wonderful for snorkelling due to the shallow waters. Corals can be seen just by swimming a few metres from the beach. However, as it is really shallow, the corals and marine life face a lot of threats from the snorkelling fins of the numerous daytrippers each day, I'm one of the culprits too.. sad to say especially at times when I'm trying to get water out of my mouthpiece. A lot of broken corals lie around and you see more as you approach the beach. There are also numerous sea urchins which I was so afraid of as I could even touch them if im not careful. This is the place where I manage to capture good underwater shots with the new underwater housing that I invested in and I'm really pleased with the results.

Rock formations near snorkelling bay

This is the snorkelling bay where I get to snap beautiful pictures of marine life that is shown above. For more pictures of underwater scenery and marine life, click on the travelogues below.

Crowded beach

Rather than lazing at the beach which is crowded, as all the daytrippers to Phi Phi Islands will arrive here at almost the same time, I spent my one and a half hours snorkelling at the bay.

• Pros:Beautiful corals
  • Cons:Crowded with daytrippers
  • Last visit to Ko Khai: Nov 2005
  • Intro Updated Jan 1, 2006

• sweetie_inc's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2006 at 7:54 AM

It's so weird.. i did went snorkeling at the place where i took the pict in my Ko Khai page.. and there was nothin except dead corals all over the place.. maybe i need to go further up... :(

• Wild_Orchid's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2006 at 5:05 PM

wow, what a lot of pictures. it's beautiful!!

• victorwkf's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2006 at 1:31 AM

Hi Jo, very nice underwater photos indeed! How are you lately?

• bkoon's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2006 at 6:19 AM

Jo, you must quickly get your dive certification. Nice pictures. I miss the blue planet. Bee :)

• peerapa's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2006 at 8:52 PM

woooooooow.....so beautiful....Thanks for sharing ;)

• bpacker's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2006 at 10:34 PM

Looks like you captured a parrot fish over there! I saw a lemon shark when I was there.

icyjo24

“Tokyo ~ 13 to 19 June 2009”

Badges & Stats in Ko Khai

Have you been to Ko Khai?

Latest Activity in Ko Khai