"Amorgos- where the big blue was filmed" Top 5 Page for this destination Amorgos Island by Ruai
Amorgos Island Travel Guide: 73 reviews and 253 photos
Amorgos is one of the Cycladic Islands. While popular in summer it never gets the crowds of Mikonos or Santorini. Its a very mountainous Island with great walking and a fair number of archaeological remains, as well as a famous and spectacular cliffside monastery of Hozoviotissa, from whence a path will lead you to the other side of the Island. I loved it and its one of my favourite Islands.
You normally arrive in Katapola if catching the ferry from Piraeus. Its pleasant and has some nice beaches nearby but Aigali, the other arrival point is much more laidback and attractive. The two are now linked by a road and of course you can bus or walk from one to the other (if you need a good workout-theres a lot of upland in between!) Otherwise you can take the ferry between them but its pretty rough.
Hora village has a spectacular site and is picture postcard pretty.
PS if you haven't seen the Big Blue, theres a place in Katapola which seems to have it on all the time ;)
Founded by the Byzantine Emperor Alexius Komninus in 1088, this spectacular monastery welcomes visitors (usual rules... more travel advice
Ruai's Related Pages
Amorgos Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "in love with Big Blue!"
- "AMORGOS, STRANGE AND HYPNOTIC"
- "Amorgos- where the big blue was filmed"
- "Amorgos a frenchie Greek Island"
- "Amorgos, Cyclades"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amorgos Island
- Hotels in Amorgos Island
- Transportation in Amorgos Island
- Nightlife in Amorgos Island
- Restaurants in Amorgos Island
- Shopping in Amorgos Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Amorgos Island
- 3 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Amorgos Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amorgos Island
Photos in Amorgos IslandSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Dun Laoghaire Intro, 46 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 53 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dalkey Intro, 15 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dubrovnik Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paros Island Intro, 7 reviews, 19 photos
- Tinos Island Intro, 6 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Athens Intro, 20 reviews, 2 photos
- Andros Island 9 reviews, 11 photos
- Cong Intro, 13 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination County Mayo Intro, 13 reviews, 5 photos