Cong Off The Beaten Path Tips by Ruai
Cong Off The Beaten Path: 2 reviews and 1 photos
The Neale Pyramid, a 10 metre high stepped pyramid located in the hamlet of Neale about 4 km from Cong is really strange. I'd never hear about it before visiting Cong this time. As far as I can find out it was built in the 18th century by a local landowner as a memorial to his brother. However there are also suggestions that it was built as a famine work and its possible that both stories are true. Ireland had a lot of famines some of which were almost as severe as the great famine of 1845-48 and it was normal for the local grandees to provide work to those who otherwise would not be able to earn their keep at such times. Of course such work had to be avoid displacing useful activities and so was usually of some utterly pointless nature (a road to nowhere, monuments, mad follies etc) The important thing was that people had to work for their bread and weren't simply given charity.
However I'm rather curious about the actual age of the structure as it looks like it was put up last week!
More Reviews (12)
Ruai's Related Pages
Cong Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Not just the Quiet Man!"
- "Quite man location - quite splendid"
- "Cong....mixed emotions"
- "It Smelled of Leprechans!"
- See All...
Explore the World
- Browns Point Hotels
- South Hampton Hotels
- Kampong Parit Raja Hotels
- Aitutaki Hotels
- Playa del Ingles
Badges & Stats in Cong
- 13 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Cong?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cong
Top 10 Pages
- Dun Laoghaire Intro, 46 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 53 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dalkey Intro, 15 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dubrovnik Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paros Island Intro, 7 reviews, 19 photos
- Tinos Island Intro, 6 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Athens Intro, 20 reviews, 2 photos
- Andros Island 9 reviews, 11 photos
- Cong Intro, 13 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination County Mayo Intro, 13 reviews, 5 photos