"Not just the Quiet Man!" Cong by Ruai
Cong Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 29 photos
Cong, a small village on the borders of Galway and Mayo, was the setting in 1951 for a film called 'The quiet man' starring Maureen O'Hara and John Wayne. Since then it has made its living from tourism initially inspired by the lovely scenery shown by the film. However Cong was and is a very interesting place in its own right, with much to see and do. Its a great place to base yourself if you want to explore the Lough Corrib area.
P.S. If you havn't seen the film, don't worry, every accomodation place in the village shows it every night ;-)
- Pros:Scenery, sites
- Cons:Crowds (sometimes!)
- In a nutshell:Peace and tranquility
In the modern Catholic Church beside the ruined Cong Abbey there is a fine Harry Clarke stained glass window. Harry... more travel advice
Bicycles can be hired from the Cong hostel and I believe from somewhere else in the village and are an ideal way to get... more travel advice
Ruai's Related Pages
Cong Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Not just the Quiet Man!"
- "Quite man location - quite splendid"
- "Cong....mixed emotions"
- "It Smelled of Leprechans!"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cong
- 13 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Cong?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cong
Top 10 Pages
- Dun Laoghaire Intro, 46 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 53 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dalkey Intro, 15 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dubrovnik Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paros Island Intro, 7 reviews, 19 photos
- Tinos Island Intro, 6 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Athens Intro, 20 reviews, 2 photos
- Andros Island 9 reviews, 11 photos
- Cong Intro, 13 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination County Mayo Intro, 13 reviews, 5 photos