"Garden of Ireland" Top 5 Page for this destination Wicklow by Ruai
Wicklow Travel Guide: 79 reviews and 234 photos
Wicklow is both a green lung for the ever encroaching urban sprawl of Dublin and a beautiful, historic place in its own right. Increasingly its towns such as Bray, Arklow and Wicklow town itself have been forced into the role of commuter suburbs for Dublin but Wicklow County Council continues to fight a gallant battle to retain the separate identity of the county. Needless to say, all Dubliners love Wicklow as do any tourists who go there. But the fear is that it'll become too popular for its own good.
While the primary attraction is the great outdoors, Wicklow has something for most tastes: ancient monastic settlements (Glendalough); beautiful gardens (Mt Usher, Powerscourt); pretty villages (Enniskerry); old Hotels (Hunters); quiet valleys (Glenmalure); excellent walking (the Wicklow 'Mountains' and the excellent way-marked wicklow way); peaceful lakes (Blessington). The Towns are not bad either :-)and if you're into sports theres plenty of choice there too, with riding and Golf particularly well-catered for. When you get hungry, you'll be well looked after and the area boasts many snug and quirky pubs. If I sound like I work for the Wicklow Tourist Board its because I grew up with Wicklow as my playground and think that everybody else should enjoy it too :-)
To me, Glendalough is a special place, combining the ancient ruins of the early St Kevins monastery with the two lakes... more travel advice
This spot is on the itinerary of all tourists to Wicklow. Once one of the most magnificent Palladian mansions in Ireland... more travel advice
Ruai's Related Pages
Wicklow Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Garden of Ireland"
- "Avoca in Wicklow"
- "Challenger's Wicklow Page"
- "Glendalough in Wicklow - Beautiful and Green"
- "RitchiS1's new Wicklow Page"
- "Wicklow Mountains"
- "kathycollins's Wicklow Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wicklow
- Hotels in Wicklow
- Transportation in Wicklow
- Nightlife in Wicklow
- Restaurants in Wicklow
- Warnings and Dangers in Wicklow
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wicklow
- 13 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Wicklow?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wicklow
Top 10 Pages
- Dun Laoghaire Intro, 46 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 53 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dalkey Intro, 15 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dubrovnik Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paros Island Intro, 7 reviews, 19 photos
- Tinos Island Intro, 6 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Athens Intro, 20 reviews, 2 photos
- Andros Island 9 reviews, 11 photos
- Cong Intro, 13 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination County Mayo Intro, 13 reviews, 5 photos
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Wicklow hotel reviews
- Druids Glen Marriott Hotel & Country Club
- 620 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Tinakilly Country House Hotel & Restaurant
- 211 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- BrookLodge & Wells Spa
- 446 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 23, 2013
- Lawless's Irish Country Hotel & Holiday Village
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Glenmalure Hostel
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 11, 2013
- Wicklow Head Lighthouse
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 13, 2013