"Garden of Ireland" Top 5 Page for this destination Wicklow by Ruai

Wicklow Travel Guide: 79 reviews and 234 photos

Its a cliche but . . . .

Wicklow is both a green lung for the ever encroaching urban sprawl of Dublin and a beautiful, historic place in its own right. Increasingly its towns such as Bray, Arklow and Wicklow town itself have been forced into the role of commuter suburbs for Dublin but Wicklow County Council continues to fight a gallant battle to retain the separate identity of the county. Needless to say, all Dubliners love Wicklow as do any tourists who go there. But the fear is that it'll become too popular for its own good.

Range of attractions

While the primary attraction is the great outdoors, Wicklow has something for most tastes: ancient monastic settlements (Glendalough); beautiful gardens (Mt Usher, Powerscourt); pretty villages (Enniskerry); old Hotels (Hunters); quiet valleys (Glenmalure); excellent walking (the Wicklow 'Mountains' and the excellent way-marked wicklow way); peaceful lakes (Blessington). The Towns are not bad either :-)and if you're into sports theres plenty of choice there too, with riding and Golf particularly well-catered for. When you get hungry, you'll be well looked after and the area boasts many snug and quirky pubs. If I sound like I work for the Wicklow Tourist Board its because I grew up with Wicklow as my playground and think that everybody else should enjoy it too :-)

• Last visit to Wicklow: Apr 2006
  • Intro Updated Dec 28, 2006

• lomi's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2010 at 3:04 PM

I loved your tips and am tempted into a month long trip to Ireland this summer. What's the summer weather like?

• wandabendik's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2008 at 5:30 AM

Great tips from a man who knows. Tried and tested now. Thanks Ruaidhri.

• Marisola's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2008 at 1:33 PM

My friend Amy is getting married there in June. Know any good photographers?

• mariaschmidt's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2007 at 2:35 AM

I like Avoca really very much. Been there twice . I think if I would live in Ireland I will chose to live in Avoca and commute to work in Dublin :-)) Mary

• BeatChick's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2006 at 5:54 PM

Excellent page on the Wicklow area! When we visit Eire this is one place we definitely plan to visit as my daughter wants to hike the hills of Ireland. :)

Ruai

“Life is what you make of it”

Badges & Stats in Wicklow

Have you been to Wicklow?

Latest Activity in Wicklow