"city with plenty of flair" Yogyakarta by dircelo
Yogyakarta Travel Guide: 734 reviews and 1,878 photos
when we arrived at Yogya by train we immediately had somehow a feeling as if we were in a South European city, do not know why, perhaps it was because of the relatively flat buildings without skycrapers which were present in Jakarta, the dutch hence european touch - though Holland is not mediterran... The sultans palace - Kraton - also gave it atmosphere and it was Idul Fitri, the end of Ramadan. Please forgive me for saying, but I felt it was a happy atmosphere of "Carneval". The second night we arrived, people were almost relieved that Ramadan was over soon, children enjoyed the parades together with young people until late at night...
Yogyakarta is undoubtedly the cultural centre of Java. It has Silver art and Batik print to offer, has very pretty Sultan's palace called Kraton, a water castle, birds market and a cosy inner city layout. Some of the quarters have a dutch influence. Of course you should not miss starting excursions to the Hindu Temple of Prambanan and the Buddhist Temple of Borobodur and last but not least even during ramamdan you get food if you are non muslim.
If you come to Yogya you should not miss hanging out in the evening, e.g. enjoy easy talk to the Yogyan's, who can explain to you were the party continues. Despite Idul Fitri (it was less party perhaps) we still enjoyed ourself thoroughly, not only at the parades and celebrations but also at Made's Bar, where we relaxed from all the touring.
- Pros:cultural capital
- Cons:a bit dusty
- In a nutshell:anytime again!
The Kraton also has a beautieful small collection for coaches to be admired. more travel advice
Music has a great influence in Java, anywhere in Java you will see young guys with a guitar, playing or trying to play... more travel advice
dircelo's Related Pages
Yogyakarta Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Royal Capital of Indonesia"
- "The cultural authentic heart of Java!"
- "Wonderful people, beautiful city"
- "::Sugeng Rawuh ing Ngayogyakarta Hadiningrat::"
- "Imogiri, a Gateway to Heaven"
- "A Weekend in Jogja"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Yogyakarta
- Hotels in Yogyakarta
- Transportation in Yogyakarta
- Nightlife in Yogyakarta
- Restaurants in Yogyakarta
- Shopping in Yogyakarta
- Warnings and Dangers in Yogyakarta
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Yogyakarta
- 19 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Yogyakarta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Yogyakarta
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 59 reviews, 140 photos
- Chicago Intro, 35 reviews, 120 photos
- Yogyakarta Intro, 19 reviews, 42 photos
- London Intro, 11 reviews, 35 photos
- Borobudur Intro, 13 reviews, 28 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 13 reviews, 24 photos
- Berlin Intro, 10 reviews, 25 photos
- Kuwait Intro, 3 reviews, 17 photos
- Parque Nacional del Iguazù 5 reviews, 5 photos
- Singapore Intro, 1 review, 8 photos
No friends yet.