"Reims : city of the kings" Top 5 Page for this destination Reims by mariev
Reims Travel Guide: 324 reviews and 1,024 photos
When hearing the name Reims, what comes to mind ? Cathedral, Champagne ? Yes, but the town has much more to offer : Not only did the city play a very important role in french history but it presents no less than 3 UNESCO World Heritage sites (The Cathedral, the Palais du Tau and the Basilique Saint Rémi)
According to the legend, Reims was created by Remus, the founder of Rome’s brother; thus the name of the Celtic people living in the area : the Rèmes.
Towards 80 before Jesus-Christ, they established a oppidum baptized Durocortero ("round fortress"). After the Roman conquest, Durocortorum was integrated in the province of Belgium and became its capital. With 30 000 inhabitants the Gallo-Roman city became one of the most populated of in the north of the Alps. There are large remnants from this period, either in situation like the cryptoportique or in the Muséee Saint Rémi
The baptism of Clovis, king of the Franks, by Remi, bishop of Reims, took place on Christmas day 498 in the site today occupied by the cathedral Notre Dame. Clovis’ conversion to christianity, a religion inherited from the the Romans, enabled him to legitimate his military seizure on a then very divided Gaule. From this baptism, which sealed the link between the Church and the State, was established the divine right french monarchical system - a nation was born. Because of this, Reims later became the place of France’s kings sacre and cororation.
In 816 the first royal sacre took place in Reims with Louis le Pieux. The most memorable one remains that of the dauphin Charles VII, led to Reims by Jeanne d' Arc on July 17, 1429 after the end of Orleans’siege. On the whole, 33 sovereigns were crowned in Reims, the latest in date being Charles X in 1825. The ceremony took place in the cathedral Notre Dame since this one was built. It continued by a banquet of the sacring in the Palais du Tau and with a pilgrimage near the body of Saint Remi , in the basilica is devoted to him.
- In a nutshell:Much more than Cathedral and Champagne
If you are overwhemed by historical buildings, have a stroll around the center town. While there are not so many old... more travel advice
The Cathedral Notre Dame de Reims was started in 1211 on the location of a former church (said to be built around 400 by... more travel advice
mariev's Related Pages
Reims Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Journey to Reims"
- "A pompous gothic cathedral and more ...."
- "WELCOME TO MY REIMS PAGE......:-)"
- "Reims : city of the kings"
- "Reims-city of champagne"
- "Reims - Champagne and Monuments"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Reims
- Hotels in Reims
- Transportation in Reims
- Restaurants in Reims
- Shopping in Reims
- Warnings and Dangers in Reims
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Reims
- 14 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Reims?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Reims
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 89 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Île de la Cité Intro, 10 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reims Intro, 14 reviews, 38 photos
- Noyers Intro, 10 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Île-de-France Intro, 4 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- France Intro, 8 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ancy-le-Franc Intro, 6 reviews, 15 photos
- Issy-les-Moulineaux Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- Gouvernorat de Tataouine Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue