"Tataouine : to the end of the world ??????" Gouvernorat de Tataouine by mariev
Gouvernorat de Tataouine Travel Guide: 86 reviews and 260 photos
Some years ago, when the first Star War films came out, the name of the desolate planet of Tattoine sounded strangely familiar to some spectators.
Dozens years before, a french expression ‘Aller à Tataouine’ was synonym to go to the end of the world (and even beyond).
Coincidence ? No : in 1976 George Lucas filmed SW4 in the tunisian Governorat (Wilaya) of Tataouine (and reused the name).
But does really “Tataouine” deserve to be a synonym of hell ?
Situated at the extreme South-West of Tunisia, bordered by Algeria, Lybia and by the wylayas of Medenine and Kebili, the Wilaya (governorat) of Tataouine comprises the extreme southern fifth of the country.
Tataouine is the most south-eastern of the 23 existing Wilayas, and is really the door leading to the desert that covers about 1/3 of Tunisia.
With 30 000 inhabitants (of Berber origin for a large part), possessing petrol ressources in El Borma, offering an intersting historical past and a not too bad agricultural context, the area tries now to seduct tourists (and investors).
As mentionned above, the area has some interseting places to visit :
If the former convicts prison that originated Tataouine's reputation is not accessible to the public (it's now an army base), there is still a decent number of attraction like :
- The town of Tataouine itself with its market and its berber festival of arts; the town is also where you can find the last gas station before entering the desert and even a cyber-cafe (or should we call it a cyber mint tea ?)
- Ksar Hadada with its well preserved ghorfas
- The troglodytic village of Chenini-Tataouine
- Cons:Hot, Burning
- In a nutshell:Aller à Tataouine et en revenir
The (S)chorbat frick (also called shorbat chiir) is a soup made with green corn. In Tunisia, it is often served during... more travel advice
The main attraction in Ksar-Hadada is the ghorfa, but it's not the only thing worth the visit. On the other side of the... more travel advice
mariev's Related Pages
Gouvernorat de Tataouine Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tataouine : to the end of the world ??????"
- "Ksar Haddada."
- "Very tipical"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gouvernorat de Tataouine
- Hotels in Gouvernorat de Tataouine
- Transportation in Gouvernorat de Tataouine
- Restaurants in Gouvernorat de Tataouine
- Shopping in Gouvernorat de Tataouine
- Warnings and Dangers in Gouvernorat de Tataouine
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gouvernorat de Tataouine
- 13 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Gouvernorat de Tataouine?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gouvernorat de Tataouine
- Posted in Travel Paris Forum "Re: Mission: a nice letter as a..."
- updated a Gouvernorat de Tataouine Travel Page "Tataouine : to the end of the world ??????"
- Wrote a Review South Tunisian cooking : Chorbat Frick in Gouvernorat de Tataouine Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "South Tunisian cooking : Chorbat Frick"
Photos in Gouvernorat de TataouineSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 89 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Île de la Cité Intro, 10 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reims Intro, 14 reviews, 38 photos
- Noyers Intro, 10 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Île-de-France Intro, 4 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- France Intro, 8 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ancy-le-Franc Intro, 6 reviews, 15 photos
- Issy-les-Moulineaux Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- Gouvernorat de Tataouine Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue