"Willimantic, CT.... Good and Bad" Willimantic by Coombsie

Willimantic Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 7 photos

Ahhh--- Home

When you take a look at your hometown and try to envision it through someone elses eys, what do you see?

When I look I see a small town with big problems. I see helpful people trying to fix those problems. I see small business taking hold and making it. I see a downtown area in the midst of a revitilization. I see "the Hill section" with so many beautiful Victorain homes and their owners trying to keep them beautiful so everyone can enjoy seeing them. I see the Frog bridge that I can gaurantee that there isn't another one like it, anywhere! I see the Eastern Connecticut State University and all those kids in a rush to get to class. All in all I see a great community. I see neighbors still take the time to stop and say hello. I see all kinds of cultures living together in one place.

But most of all I see home. The place I've decided to put down roots. It may have it's problems, but what towns don't have those?

Slow down, take a look around and you might see the good things that I see. And who knows, maybe once you do, you'll see that the problems we do have a fixable, and you will see the good, strong town that I see.

Restoration

Here is one of those grand Victorian Homes. We're working on this one, someday it will be finished. And let me just tell you the "Before" picture is way worse then this!

Re-Building

This is part of one of the local mills that they are taking apart. Then they will be putting it back together to make apartments for artists. It's a great plan where everyone wins. The property values in town go up, and people get affordable housing.

• Pros:Nice people, great location.
  • Cons:Bad reputation
  • In a nutshell:Come see the Frogs, look around, and see it isn't so bad!
  • Intro Updated Oct 9, 2004

• Oct 20, 2007 at 2:41 PM

The bakery part of Franco's is closed, but I believe the restaurant is still open. Not sure though.

• kenari's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2006 at 6:48 AM

happy birthday to you !!! really miss my college years in hartford.......CT ,so many memories i will remember till i die....

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2006 at 4:04 AM

Have a great birthday! Wow! I gotta drive up to see that bridge...thanks for the intro...

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Oct 5, 2005 at 8:21 AM

Love that bridge. You should get out and about with your camera -home town tales are great. leyle

• JERRYDOUGHERTY's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2005 at 6:16 PM

I WENT TO WILLIMANTIC (WINDHAM) THIS YEAR AND FOUND IT TO BE A LOT BETTER THEN I HEARD IT TO BE. SHOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE AN OUTSIDERS VIEW GOTO public.fotki.com/GCDOUGHERTY... I HAVE 57 PHOTOS THERE. ENJOY!

Coombsie

“Be a tourist in your own neighborhood. You'll be surprised at what you learn.”

Badges & Stats in Willimantic

Have you been to Willimantic?

Latest Activity in Willimantic