"Buyukada" Top 5 Page for this destination Buyukada by morgr
Buyukada Travel Guide: 73 reviews and 169 photos
The first thing you will notice, or at least the first thing that I noticed, was Buyukadas complete lack of cars. Apart from a few exceptions (cop car, ambulance etc.) cars are banned on the island. After spending a few days in Istanbul, the relative tranquility of the island will be a welcome change, as Istanbulers well know. Buyukada is a popular weekend destination for locals to get away from the city.
As you disembark the boat in Buyukada you walk up the pier wich puts you into the town centre. A square flanked with small fish restaurants and tourist post-card type shops. Up the road to the right you find a square with lots of horses and carriages for rent.
Also, as you walk around, mainly out of the town centre, you will notice some pretty impressive old wooden mansions.
Buyukada, meaning 'great island', is the largest of the four islands known as the 'princes' islands'. They are located in the Sea of Marmara about 15-30km south-east from Istanbul.
The 'great island' has two main peaks, on both of wich rest monasteries. The southern hill, Yuce Tepe, is were you can find the Monastery of St. George. This is the easiest accesible for the two, either by horse carriage, bike, or as I did, on foot.
The northern hill called Isa Tepe also has a monastery atop it. This one, however, apparently is still inhabited.
- Pros:No cars, no horns.
- Cons:Easy to get lost.
- In a nutshell:Great place to escape Istanbul for a day
The only cars on Buyukada that you might see will be a police car and an ambulance, other than those, cars are banned on... more travel advice
Facing south-west from the Monestary you can see a few of the other of the Princes' Islands. I beleive these in the... more travel advice
morgr's Related Pages
Buyukada Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Buyukada - Biggest from the Princes' Islands"
- "Buyukada - escape to intercultural island"
- "The big island"
- "Buyukada: An Island Without Rush Hour"
- "Buyukada, Prince of a Princess Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Buyukada
- Hotels in Buyukada
- Transportation in Buyukada
- Restaurants in Buyukada
- Shopping in Buyukada
- Warnings and Dangers in Buyukada
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Buyukada
- 6 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Buyukada?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Buyukada
Photos in BuyukadaSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Bogotá Intro, 39 reviews, 54 photos
- Syria Intro, 18 reviews, 23 photos
- Manizales Intro, 10 reviews, 24 photos
- Colombia Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Agustín Intro, 11 reviews, 17 photos
- Paris Intro, 13 reviews, 13 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kingston Intro, 10 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Popayán Intro, 10 reviews, 15 photos
- Armenia Intro, 7 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salento Intro, 7 reviews, 15 photos