"Isla Amantani" Isla Amantani by morgr
Isla Amantani Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 61 photos
Isla Amantani is the second largest island on Titicaca (#1 Isla del Sol on Bolivian side), as well as the largest of the two main Peruvian ones, in size as well as population. Despite this it is the lesser visited of the two, and the more laid back. There is no real town on the Island, but there are 8 (I think) small 'communities'. The island most distinct features are two large hills, Pachamama and Pachatata.
When we went to the docks in Puno, originally with the intention of visiting the Uros and Taquille only, we were told there was a strike on and that no boats were comming or going anywhere. Shortly after we were approached by a fellow offering us seats on a boat that would be going to Amantani to stay the night, then in the morning going to Taquille then back to Puno. Ofcourse we accepted.
So off to Amantani we went, upon arrival us and the 12 or so other gringos on our boat were given families in whose houses we would spend the night. We were fed a good meal of vegetables, and I played a little soccer/football with the kids.
Later in the day we climbed up Pachamama to watch the sunset from the top, but not before losing miserably in a 6 on 6 gringos vs locals soccer/football match.
The only way to get to and from Amantani Island is by boat. It is possible to just show up to the dock in Puno and... more travel advice
This is the reason we climbed up Pachamama, to see the sunset from the top. If you also come up for this reason, give... more travel advice
morgr's Related Pages
Isla Amantani Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Real isolation"
- "Isla Amantani"
- "The sunset... Le coucher de soleil...."
- "Amantani Island"
- "Amantani Island, Peru"
- "Home stay on Isla Amantani"
- "ISLA AMANTANI"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Isla Amantani
- Hotels in Isla Amantani
- Transportation in Isla Amantani
- Nightlife in Isla Amantani
- Restaurants in Isla Amantani
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Isla Amantani
- 7 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Isla Amantani?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isla Amantani
Photos in Isla AmantaniSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Bogotá Intro, 39 reviews, 54 photos
- Syria Intro, 18 reviews, 23 photos
- Manizales Intro, 10 reviews, 24 photos
- Colombia Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Agustín Intro, 11 reviews, 17 photos
- Paris Intro, 13 reviews, 13 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kingston Intro, 10 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Popayán Intro, 10 reviews, 15 photos
- Armenia Intro, 7 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salento Intro, 7 reviews, 15 photos