"Silvia" Silvia by morgr
Silvia Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 54 photos
About an hours bus ride north-east of Popayan lies the picturesque little mountain town of Silvia, which is known for its colourful market held here on Tuesdays. On market day, many of the indigenous Guambiano peoples whom live in the surrounding areas descend into town to sell various goods ranging from fruits and vegetables to handycrafts and hand-woven sweaters and the likes.
It's said that the Guambiano peoples are one of the 'most-traditional' of the indigenous groups of Colombia, retaining many of their ancestral ways of life, despite being in contact with the white people for the past few hundred years. This is most obvious in the way that they dress and the language that they speak.
Most people choose to come here as a simple day-trip from Popayan, as it is easily reached from there. Alternately you could, as I did, come to Silvia Monday afternoon spend the night, then get up and see the market before leaving town around noon.
Aside from the market, you can climb up the hill for a nice view over the town and the surrounding areas. There is a... more travel advice
If you are comming from Popayan, it is a strait forward affair. There are direct mini-buses leaving from the Popayan bus... more travel advice
morgr's Related Pages
Silvia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A member of the wrong tribe in Silvia"
- "Silvia in the hills"
- "Silvia - Department Of Cauca, Colombia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Silvia
- Hotels in Silvia
- Transportation in Silvia
- Restaurants in Silvia
- Shopping in Silvia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Silvia
- 4 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Silvia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Silvia
Photos in SilviaSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Bogotá Intro, 39 reviews, 54 photos
- Syria Intro, 18 reviews, 23 photos
- Manizales Intro, 10 reviews, 24 photos
- Colombia Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Agustín Intro, 11 reviews, 17 photos
- Paris Intro, 13 reviews, 13 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kingston Intro, 10 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Popayán Intro, 10 reviews, 15 photos
- Armenia Intro, 7 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salento Intro, 7 reviews, 15 photos