"Zipaquira" Zipaquirá by morgr
Zipaquirá Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 173 photos
Zipaquira is a little town about 50km north of Bogota renowned for it's Salt Cathedral. It's proximity to Bogota make it an easy daytrip from the Capital, which is how most people will choose to visit the town.
While the Salt Cathedral is the obvious draw to Zipaquira, it is by no means the only thing to see or do in town. Other options include the Salt Museum, adjacent to the Cathedral, and a small Museum of Archaeology which may be worth a visit as well. It is also worth taking stroll around town, particularily in the area surrounding the main plaza, which has some beautiful old buildings of Spanish Colonial style.
The Muiscas were the original indigenous inhabitants of this area of the Colombian highlands. The Muiscas at the time spoke a language known as Chibcha. At that time the ruler of the Muiscas, a cheif or king of sorts, was called the Zipa, and in Chibcha, Zipaquira translates to 'The Land Of The Zipa'.
Most people will just head up to the Salt Cathedral and head back to Bogota never giving the town itself a second look.... more travel advice
The Salt Cathedral, up in the hills overlooking the town, that you visit today is not the original salt cathedral that... more travel advice
morgr's Related Pages
Zipaquirá Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Decided Colombian Experience: Zipaquira"
- "Zipaquira - The Salt Cathedral"
- "Zipaquirá - home of the gorgeous Salt Cathedral"
- "Beautiful Colonial Town With the Salt Cathedral"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Zipaquirá
- Hotels in Zipaquirá
- Transportation in Zipaquirá
- Restaurants in Zipaquirá
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Zipaquirá
- 4 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Zipaquirá?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zipaquirá
Photos in ZipaquiráSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Bogotá Intro, 39 reviews, 54 photos
- Syria Intro, 18 reviews, 23 photos
- Manizales Intro, 10 reviews, 24 photos
- Colombia Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Agustín Intro, 11 reviews, 17 photos
- Paris Intro, 13 reviews, 13 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kingston Intro, 10 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Popayán Intro, 10 reviews, 15 photos
- Armenia Intro, 7 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salento Intro, 7 reviews, 15 photos