"Twizel - Heart of Mackenzie Basin" Twizel by imstress
Twizel Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 96 photos
Twizel is a new town that was constructed in 1968. It is nested among Lake Ruataniwha, Lake Ohau, Lake Tekapo, Lake Pukaki, Lake Benmore and Lake Aviemore.
Twizel was part of Ruataniwha Station and used to be a hostel town for the construction workers who worked at the Upper Waitaki Power Development.
The most happening place in Twizel is the Market Place where restaurants, cafe, shopping centre, supermarket are. You may make enquiries for your hiking, fishing trips, boating, canoeing, rafting, cycling, hand gliding, skiing, scenic flights trips at the Twizel Information Centre.
Twizel is a very good base to the surrounding areas.
Lake Ohau (25 mins)
Omarama (25 mins)
Lake Tekapo (35 mins)
Mt Cook (45 mins)
Farlie (65 mins)
Geraldine (95 mins)
Timaru (110 mins)
Wanaka (95 mins)
Cromwell (105 mins)
The 1st stop for every visitor to Twizel should be the Information Centre. You could make enquries on the nearby town or make arrangements for your activities.
The Twizel Information Centre
Twizel Events Centre
Phone: (03) 435 3124
Fax: (03) 435 0537
October - April. 9.00am - 7.00pm. Daily
May - September. 9.00am - 5.00pm. Monday to Saturday.
Twizel is located in the heart of Mackenzie Basin. Lake Ruataniwha, Lake Ohau, Lake Tekapo, Lake Pukaki, Lake Benmore... more travel advice
At High Country Salmon Farm, we get to taste fresh salmon sashimi. The lady boss gave us some fish feed to feed them to... more travel advice
imstress' Related Pages
Twizel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hub of the lake district"
- "Twizel - Heart of Mackenzie Basin"
- "Getaway town to Mt Cook area"
- "Built For a Dam"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Twizel
- Hotels in Twizel
- Transportation in Twizel
- Restaurants in Twizel
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Twizel
- 7 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (50)
Have you been to Twizel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Twizel
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 296 reviews, 690 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Concelho de Macau Intro, 62 reviews, 288 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Phuket Intro, 52 reviews, 257 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 78 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues
- Asia Intro, 42 reviews, 163 photos
- Chiang Mai Intro, 30 reviews, 160 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jiuzhaigou Intro, 32 reviews, 156 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 36 reviews, 143 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sichuan Sheng Intro, 29 reviews, 142 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 30 reviews, 133 photos