"Akaroa - Banks Peninsula" Akaroa by imstress
Akaroa Travel Guide: 248 reviews and 595 photos
The Banks Peninsula was formed following violent eruptions by 3 volcanoes. The craters nurse the harbours of Akaroa and Lyttelton, smaller bays indent the rest of the coastline. Akaroa is the South Island’s oldest town.
We make a brief stop at Barrys Bay Cheese Factory and purchased honey instead of cheese. We then head for lunch at Akaroa Fish Shop. It was the best Fish & Chips we have tasted on our South Island Trip. There were many orders ahead of us and we have to wait for our lunch to be served.
After lunch, we walked around the jetty area and took many pics. There are French colonial shops along the streets and some seats and very unique tress along the picturesque harbour. We choose to relax and take in the peaceful sights.
We set off from Christchurch to Akaroa oh Stateway 75 at around 11am and it took us about 2 hrs to with a few stops in between to reach Akaroa. The roads were windy and almost puke on the way there. Our first stop was at the top of the hill where we get to see the surroundings and the Bank of Penisular and Akaroa at a height.
We drove towards the old lighthouse hoping to see the dolphins or seal but to our disappointment there were non to be found.
Go for Akaroa Harbour cruise if you wish to have a close encounter with the animals. There are daily departures for the harbour cruises which give you a unique opportunity to see the rare Hector’s dolphins, little blue penguins and fur seals.
alternatively, you could go for a swim with the dolphins. Trips to the local marine reserve also allow you to come face to face with yellow-eyed penguins. You could hire kayaks or pedal boats at the waterfront and go in search of the animals.
It was fun to take a leisurely stroll among the art galleries and craft shops along the waterfront. We took some pictures at the War Memorial and have our portrait painted by a famous artist. On the Historic Village Walk you will find the old colonial buildings, churches and lighthouse.
Many activities takes place at the waterfront area of the Akaroa Harbour. You could take a stroll along the waterfront... more travel advice
Have your portrait painted for free by the famous artist, Charles Meryon. Charles Meryon (1821-1868) died at a very... more travel advice
imstress' Related Pages
Akaroa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Magic World of Banks Peninsula and Akaroa"
- "Akaroa: New Zealand's early French settlement"
- "The blissfuly beautiful Banks Peninsula"
- "ATXtraveler goes to Akaroa"
- "Akaroa & Banks Peninsula"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Akaroa
- Hotels in Akaroa
- Transportation in Akaroa
- Nightlife in Akaroa
- Restaurants in Akaroa
- Shopping in Akaroa
- Warnings and Dangers in Akaroa
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Akaroa
- 14 Reviews
- 77 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (47)
Have you been to Akaroa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Akaroa
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 296 reviews, 690 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Concelho de Macau Intro, 62 reviews, 288 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Phuket Intro, 52 reviews, 257 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 78 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues
- Asia Intro, 42 reviews, 163 photos
- Chiang Mai Intro, 30 reviews, 160 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jiuzhaigou Intro, 32 reviews, 156 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 36 reviews, 143 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sichuan Sheng Intro, 29 reviews, 142 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 30 reviews, 133 photos