Hokitika Off The Beaten Path Tips by imstress Top 5 Page for this destination
Hokitika Off The Beaten Path: 8 reviews and 17 photos
punakaiki pancake rocks
Punakaiki is best known for its Pancake Rocks and Blowholes. It is a must to stop by for the spectacular natural landscape when visiting the West Coast.
The Pancake Rocks are columns of limestone resembling stacks of pancakes. At high tide with a heavy swell running, seawater is forced upwards through blowholes. Walk out to Dolomite Point to watch the blowholes at its best at high tide.
Other than the Pancake Rocks, you may walk the Truman Track which is a 15 mins walk thru the forest to a coast of caves and coves. The Pororari Track linking with longer walks and tramps are on the Inland Pack Track system.
Visit the Bullock Creek as you see it disappearing and reappearing before your eyes.
Call in at the Paparoa National Park Visitor Centre to see what Punakaiki has to offer.
This is where you could watch a dramatic audiovisual to find out much more about a special spot that has so many secrets.
Punakaiki is located at hour drive from Hokitika along the StateHighway 6 (betwen Westport and Greymouth).
Other Contact: email@example.com
Shantytown is a replica of an early gold mining township. It is situated 10 km south of Greymouth. The search for gold continues today, and the history of those early years is always close by.
History comes alive at Shantytown, It is situated near the site of an old gold claim, and complete with livery stables, blacksmith, fire station, hospital, printing works, shop, banks, saloon, gaol, working sawmill with over 30 historic buildings crammed with artifacts.
At the Shantytown gold claim you can pan for gold just like the early prospectors and you will be assured of winning a souvenir to bring back home.
Take one of the 3 vintage steam trains which will stop at the Infants Creek Swmill where you could take a short walk and pan for your gold nuggets.
Phone: (03) 7626634
Ross is a small town which is a 30 mins drive South of Hokitika. It has a colourful history and is orignally built on gold.
Ross proved to be gold-rich and the town thrived with about 2500 inhabitants. A vast amount of gold was extracted from the area, but the major Ross gold rush ended in the early 1870s, with most large mining operations turning their attention to new areas.
The Ross Goldfields Visitor Information & Heritage Centre is located at Aylmer St.
More Reviews (24)
imstress' Related Pages
Hokitika Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hokitika - West of the Southern Alps"
- "Hokitika on the West Coast of NZ"
- "Hokitika - Fun to visit and fun to say!"
- "A land of Food and Ice"
- "wonderful sea views"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hokitika
- Hotels in Hokitika
- Nightlife in Hokitika
- Restaurants in Hokitika
- Shopping in Hokitika
- Warnings and Dangers in Hokitika
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hokitika
- 27 Reviews
- 82 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (50)
Have you been to Hokitika?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hokitika
- Posted in Travel Iceland Forum "Diesel vs Petrol, Car Rental,..."
- Commented on one of Aidy_p's Hokitika travel pages
- updated a Hokitika Travel Page "Hokitika - West of the Southern Alps"
- Uploaded a Photo to "West Coast Historical Museum"
- Wrote a Review West Coast Historical Museum in Hokitika Things to Do
Photos in HokitikaSee All Photos (82)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 296 reviews, 690 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Concelho de Macau Intro, 62 reviews, 288 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Phuket Intro, 52 reviews, 257 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 78 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues
- Asia Intro, 42 reviews, 163 photos
- Chiang Mai Intro, 30 reviews, 160 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jiuzhaigou Intro, 32 reviews, 156 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 36 reviews, 143 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sichuan Sheng Intro, 29 reviews, 142 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 30 reviews, 133 photos