"Franz Josef - Glacier County" Top 5 Page for this destination Franz Josef Glacier by imstress
Franz Josef Glacier Travel Guide: 129 reviews and 409 photos
Franz Josef is 5 hrs from Queenstown, 5 hrs from Christchurch and 1 hr 30 mins from Hokitika.
It is a must see on your journey to South Island.
Sentinel Rock Walk - 20 mins return. An easy climb for spectacular views of the glacier.
Pakihi Walk - 30 mins, easy superb 360 deg views of mountains and rainforest.
Terrace Walk - 30 mins return. Forest walk to historic sluice face. Glowworms after dark
Canavans Knob Walk - 40 mins return climb to glacier and coastal views.
Douglas Walk - 1 hr return. 5 mins bushwalk to Peters Pool for reflective views of glacier and continues through forest to exit 500 metres down road from start point.
Glacier Valley Walk - 1 hr 20 mins return. Follows the Waiho River bed to glacier terminal. Please heed all signs and barriers.
Tatare Tunnels Walk - 1 hr 20 mins return. Take a flashlight to explore the old tunnel; be prepared to wade through cold water.
Lake Wombat walk - 1 hr 30 mins return. Easy forest walk to small lake.
Okarito Trig Walk - 1 hr 30 mins, steep climb to panorama of alps and glaciers.
Callery-Waiho Walk - 2 hrs 30 mins one way giving access to Roberts Point track and glacier access road via the Douglas track.
Three Mile Walk - 3 hrs, easy historic pack track, mountains, glaciers, beach walk. Check tides.
Roberts Point Track - 5 hrs return. Climbs via a rocky track and swingbridges to a high viewpoint above glacier.
Alex Knob Track - 8 hours return. Climb up to sub-alpine terrain with views of the glacier, mountains and coastline.
Franz Josef is a small town. It is a self sufficient town with food, accommodation and tour agents.
It has a church and a fire brigade.
http://www.franzjosefglacier.com/ "Franz Josef Glacier Guides is a professional guiding company, operating since 1990.... more travel advice
http://www.glacierhelicopters.co.nz/ "Glacier Southern Lakes Helicopters offers a range of scenic helicopter flights... more travel advice
imstress' Related Pages
Franz Josef Glacier Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Franz Josef - Glacier County"
- "Glacier Country"
- "Franz Josef Glacier"
- "FACE-TO-FACE WITH BILLION METER CUBIC OF SOLID ICE"
- "Wonders on ice..."
- "a short stay by the glaciers"
- "My First Ever View of a Glacier"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Franz Josef Glacier
- Hotels in Franz Josef Glacier
- Transportation in Franz Josef Glacier
- Restaurants in Franz Josef Glacier
- Warnings and Dangers in Franz Josef Glacier
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Franz Josef Glacier
- 18 Reviews
- 83 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (51)
Have you been to Franz Josef Glacier?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Franz Josef Glacier
- Posted in Travel Iceland Forum "Diesel vs Petrol, Car Rental,..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Blue Glacier Ice"
- Wrote a Review Franz Josef Glacier Guides in Franz Josef Glacier Favorites
- Commented on one of HarShe's Franz Josef Glacier travel pages
- updated a Franz Josef Glacier Travel Page "Franz Josef - Glacier County"
Photos in Franz Josef GlacierSee All Photos (83)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 296 reviews, 690 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Concelho de Macau Intro, 62 reviews, 288 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Phuket Intro, 52 reviews, 257 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 78 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues
- Asia Intro, 42 reviews, 163 photos
- Chiang Mai Intro, 30 reviews, 160 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jiuzhaigou Intro, 32 reviews, 156 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 36 reviews, 143 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sichuan Sheng Intro, 29 reviews, 142 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 30 reviews, 133 photos