"Welcome to Uniquely Singapore" Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore by imstress

Singapore Travel Guide: 4,570 reviews and 10,393 photos

A place I call my Home

Greetings from Singapore!

Welcome to Singapore! You must be searching for information on Singapore or found my page by chance. I am a Singaporean born Chinese and have lived here all my life.

Drop me an email if you need information on Singapore which cannot be found in my tips. I do have suggested itinerary based on no. of days that you may like to take a look at as this the the most popular question being asked in the forum.

Listed here are some very useful websites that could help you to plan your visit to Singapore. www.visitsingapore.com, www.streetdirectory.com, www.asiarooms.com, www.changi.airport.com.sg.

Personally I would recommend you to visit Jurong Bird Park, Orchid Garden & Botanic Garden, Zoo & Night Safari, Sentosa, Bugis Village, Esplanade, Merlion Walk, Chinatown, Little India, Clarke Quay & Boat Quay.

If you want to experience the neighbourhood of a local Singaporean, alight at Toa Payoh MRT Station for some cheap shopping.

I hope that my tips will be useful to your planning on your trip to Singapore. Pls email me or leave me comments as that will be a great encouragement to me. Feel free to give some good ratings to my tips if you find them helpful. And I do hope to meet up if time permits.

Attractions- Jurong Bird Park, Orchid Garden & Botanic Garden, Zoo & Night Safari and Sentosa

Museums- Singapore Art Museum, Asian Civilisations Museum, Chinatown Heritage Centre, Civil Defence Heritage Gallery, Changi Museum, Fort Siloso (Sentosa), Images of Singapore (Sentosa), Reflections at Bukit Chandu, Singapore History Museum, Singapore Philatelic Museum

Night Life - Night Safari, Clarke Quay, Boat Quay, CHIJMES, Chinatown Night Market, Esplanade, Merlion Park

Nature - Pulau Ubin, MacRitchie Reservior, Bukit Timah Nature Reserve, Sungei Buloh, Fort Canning Park, Kranji Nature Trail

Cultural - Little India, Chinatown, Arab Street

Kids - Singapore Science Centre, Escape Theme Park, Wild Wild Wet, Snow City, Zoo, Night Safari, Jurong Bird Park, Sentosa, Singapore Discovery Centre

Shopping - Bugis, Orchard, Suntec, Mustafa, Funan, Toa Payoh, Vivo City

Local Food - Glutton Bay, Food Repulic (Wisma Atria), Marina Loft Food Court, various Hawker Centres

Uniquely Singapore

Changi Airport is rated one of the best airports in the world!

The most common Chinese surname in Singapore is Tan, followed by Lee, Lim and Ng. My surname is Phoon

The national flower of Singapore, Vanda Miss Joaquim, was first discovered in 1893 by Agnes Joaquim

The official languages in Singapore are English, Chinese (Mandarin), Malay and Tamil

Chinese dialects such as Hokkien, Teochew, Cantonese, Hakka, Hainanese and Foochow are widely used in Singapore

Singapore became independent in 1965. Our National Day falls on 9 Aug

Singapore only has one main island and 63 tiny islands!

The biggest fountain in Asia is in located at Suntec City!

The number of visitors that come to visit Singapore a year is double the population!

Singapore is the country where the most number of people wear spectacles!

There are more than 140 cinemas in Singapore screening the most recent movies from all over the world

Singapore Flyer* Newest Attraction

The Singpore Flyer is the newest attraction in town.

There are 28 capsules and each of them can take a maximum of 28 person.
The 30 mins ride will cost S$29.50. I was able to get a 15% corporate discount.

From the Flyer, you could see as far as Indonesia and Malaysia.

The best view is around 7pm where you get to enjoy the sunset as well as the lights when it starts to get dark. To avoid crowds and long queue at the security queue, it is best to go on weekdays.

If you are lucky, you could have the whole capsule to yourself especially in the mornings. You can spend your time taking lots of pictures.

View of the construction of the Integrated Resort (IR), the Central Business District (CBD), tall buildings and housing development board (HDB) flats, condominiums, golf club, the barage, sea, Marina Bay area, hotels, the Benjamin Sheares Bridge can all be seen.

Bring a binoculars if you wish to see scenery that are far far away.

Do you know that the Singapore Flyer goes on an anti-clockwise direction?

My Favourite Local Food/Restaurants

My list of local favourites that I have eaten so far:

Best Chilli Crab
1st * No Signboard (Vivo City Branch)
2nd * Jumbo Seafood (Riverside Point Branch)

Best Butter Crab and Claypot Bee Hoon Soup Crab
1st * Mellben (Ang Mo Kio)
2nd * Mellben ( Toa Payoh)

Best Hokkien Mee
1st * Food Republic Wisma (Orchard Rd)
2nd *Kim's Cuisine (Liang Seah Street)

Best Murtabak
1st * Zam Zam (North Bridge Rd)

Best Prata
1st * Samy's Curry (Marina Square)
2nd * The Prata Place
3rd * Cheses Prata (NUS)

Best International Buffet
1st * The Line (Shangrila)

Best Meat/Roast Buffet
1st * Carnivore (Vivo City)

Best Steamboat
1st * Hong Kong Street Fish Head Steamboat (opp SGH)
2nd* Goldenmile Complex
3rd * Chun Xiang SiChuan Steamboat (Arab Street)

Best Dim Sum
1st * Tea House (China Square)
2nd * The Dragon Restaurant (Depot Heights)

Best Taiwaness Porridge
1st * Ye Shanghai (Henderson Road)
2nd * ABC Market (Jln Bukit Merah)
3rd * OASIS Taiwan Porridge

Best Japanese Buffet
1st * Himawari (Mt Faber SAFRA)
2nd * Kuishinbo

Best Chicken Rice (too many to list and not in particular order)
Tiong Bahru Market
Telok Blangah Crescent Coffee Shop
Golden Mile Complex

• In a nutshell:Come and visit me!
  • Intro Updated Aug 7, 2008

• Mar 11, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Hi.. I like your page.. I am quite in a quadry which area to stay while in Singapore. We are looking in a 3 star hotel with great location. I will be traveling with my two adult sons ages 22 and 25 this Holy Week from Manila, Philippines. Since it's my sons first time travel to singapore, I wanted them to stay at the Supreme Orchard.. reviews said its a dated hotel but location wise is savvy. We are now debating Vlavander hotel which have small rooms even for triple occupancy. Can you please give me better suggestions.. I like orchard but i can not afford the top stars hotels. Thank you for your time.

• dolz's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2011 at 11:31 PM

2nd day- half day city tour to SG ( I still don't know where do we get to go and what do we get to see but after this we'll go to Johore bahru as part of the package, 3rd day is whole day USS (we might split from the group since i don't to spend the whole

• mehulraj's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2011 at 12:12 AM

I cant stop reading ur singapore pages,its been almost one hour now.best information.Last year I picked free booklets from Changi Airport but urs are more useful i think of taking printout of ur all singapore pages.Great work

• Sunilks's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2011 at 12:29 AM

Thanks for the useful information. I need your help in knowing the cheapest mode or the options of singapore city tour and flyer / santosa

• EGerard's Profile Photo
    Oct 23, 2010 at 11:06 PM

Wonderful site; I'm planning on hitting Singapore up for several weeks in December for a holiday. Really great info. Thanks

• Dec 1, 2009 at 6:28 PM

Siong Lim Temple is more accurately Siong Lim Seng Onn Beo (Siong Lim City God Temple) to distinguish it from Siong Lim Si (Siong Lim Monastery), a Buddhist monastery next to the temple.

• Nov 29, 2009 at 10:31 PM

Is the shuttle bus from City Hall to Suntec free?

• Nov 21, 2009 at 5:26 AM

We confirm.To collect "our prizes" , we were asked to attend a 75 minute presentation by Barrons (travel and holidays ) .We were asked if we had our passport,driving licence or a ...credit card for proper registration.

• britbrat_56's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2009 at 2:15 PM

Hey Birthday Girl, Happy Birthday to you, for the 28th Oct - Have a good one ;-) David x

• eriksson977's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2009 at 8:24 AM

Hello Jen, Outstanding pages. Thanks for the virtual tour. Tomas Eriksson :)

imstress Lives Here!

Badges & Stats in Singapore

Have you been to Singapore?