"Day Trips to Johor Bahru" Top 5 Page for this destination Johor Bahru by imstress

Johor Bahru Travel Guide: 521 reviews and 948 photos

Seafood at Restoran Todak (Telok Jawa/Megah Ria)

Johor Bahru is situated at the southern tip of the Peninsula. Johor Bahru (JB) is the state capital of Johor Darul Takzim. It is one of the largest cities in Malaysia.

The Causeway lconnects JB to Singapore with a six lane road and a railway line. The Second Link Expressway located in the west was constructed in 1997 to help alleviate the congested Causeway. It is linked directly to Johor Bahru Parkway and North-South Expressway.

Singaporeans would like to cross the causeway for grocery shopping, petrol and eat cheap and good seafood.

We had our seafood dinner at Restoran Todak (Orang Asli).

It was challenging to find this place. We went to Shell petrol station and asked a passerby how to get to the seafood village and he was so kind to lead the way.

We wondered if we were in the right direction as we have to pass thru some dark bushes for about 3 mins before we reach the crowded seafood village.

We ordered chilli crab with fried buns, gong gong, butter crayfish, fried calamari and their fried beancurd. The seafood meal for 4 of us only cost RM95.

direction: somewhere near the new Jusco, turn onto Pasir Gudang Highway, take the 1st exit and drive towards Jln Jelatang and the road to Telok Jawa is among some dark bushes and you will see a few restaurants built on stilts. Drive further in and you will see Restoran Todak which is much famous than the others because of the tasty and cheaper seafood over here.

Seafood at Tmn Sri Tebrau Hawker Centre

Taman Sri Tebrau Hawker Centre is located near Crystal Crown Hotel.

This is a hawker centre with lots of stalls selling seafood.
Our favourite stall is this big stall near the main entrance of the food centre.

My favourite are cereal prawns, herbal chicken, butter crayfish, sambal stingray, chilli kang kong. Whats yours?

Shopping at City Square

City Square is the nearest mega mall just across from Singapore to Johor Bahru causeway.

Singaporeans like to go there for shopping during the weekends.
There are many shops selling clothings, shoes, restaurants, fast food outlets, jewellery and even Singapore Visitors Centre is located there.

• Last visit to Johor Bahru: Dec 2006
  • Intro Updated Apr 4, 2007

• Feb 12, 2014 at 12:17 AM

hi imstress... is it worth staying for 3nights in Johor?

• imstress's Profile Photo
      Feb 19, 2014 at 1:35 AM

there is lots of shopping to do, restaurants to eat in and go for a good massage.

• Mar 14, 2014 at 9:45 PM

how long does it take to travel by bus/van/taxi from Malacca to Johor Bahru? We are travelling in as a family with young kids. Any suggestions? thanks...

• crewrower's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2008 at 8:38 AM

hi stress, I'm going to Singapore tomorrow for 4 days. I have Sat and Sun free. Where's the best place to visit if I want to dohave a mini adventure in Indoensia or Malaysia. I hear JB is kind of ghetto?

• Jun 6, 2008 at 9:45 AM

We actually managed to get there following your instructions. Great work!

• May 1, 2008 at 6:47 AM

Kenny Rogers Restaurant City Square Mall JB: service: poor; food not served not on time; waiters are from hell; no manager showed up in situation; the drawer/cabinet for Fork,spoon,napkin were stuffed with bags; the Roasted Chicken is actually fried;

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2008 at 8:42 PM

I love the look of the fried butter crayfish... great instructions for getting there too!

• sayedaburas's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2007 at 7:10 PM

Have a lovely job ahead !

• Dec 5, 2006 at 7:03 AM

This service operation started since 17 November 06. The 1030 & 1400 service into Singapore and 1915 & 2115 service back to JB always fully booked

• cheekymarieh's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2006 at 12:04 AM

I felt hungry reading all the food items. I'm looking forward to my trip to JB in March. The tip about glasses is really useful. I will wait to buy some new ones when I am there

• RafaelTheSecond's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2006 at 5:18 PM

You really have to write a book about Malaysia!;)

• Diana75's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2006 at 12:27 PM

It's so hard to resist to this great culinary trip, but it's even harder to choose one! I'd love to try them all.

Badges & Stats in Johor Bahru

Have you been to Johor Bahru?

Latest Activity in Johor Bahru