"My home away from home in Russia" Orel by travelbug102

Orel Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 41 photos

Soon to be Family

I spent the better parts of October & November of 1999 and February 2000 hanging out in this provincial town that is about 4hr south of Moscow (by train). Orel is a city of half a million people but it seems much smaller than that. I didn't come here because of the awesome write-up in the Russia LP book nor did I come here as an admirer of the poet Turgenev. No, I came to Orel numerous times to see my Russian girlfriend-soon-to-be-wife Natasha and live with her family. I suppose it could have all gone horribly wrong quite easily. But despite the fierce cold, lack of attractions and mis-understandings between myself and her family, I came away with a series of memories that goes beyond the realm of travel.

My little brother

I come from your garden-variety family: mom, dad and brother. I was the youngest in the family and never had a kid brother to clown around with. Fortunately for me, Natasha's brother Ivan, only 20 when I met him, was the kind of kid brother I always wanted.

Stories of vodka making, boxing and marathon Sega-Genesis sessions to follow - once I get off my butt and find the photos.

• Last visit to Orel: Sep 2001
  • Intro Updated Jan 30, 2005

Comments

travelbug102

“Friends first, food second, everything else will take of itself”

Badges & Stats in Orel