"Not what I was expecting" Split by travelbug102
Split Travel Guide: 839 reviews and 2,372 photos
My first taste of Croatia was in Split after I took an overnight ferry from Ancona (Italy). It was the middle of January and I was shocked when I got off the boat to see how sunny it was. I was not expecting the palm trees and rows of scooters lining the boardwalk.
I love how Diocletian's Palace is just plopped right in the middle of the old town. It reminds me of Rome that way. Walk past a shop; grab a gelato and all of a sudden you're standing in the middle of a Roman ruin. Of the places I’ve been in ex-Yugoslavia, this place was the most reminiscent of Italy. Though I hear Istria is even more so.
I noticed a lot of narrow streets and alleyways that had cool graffeti to them. I liked how it add a modern touch to such an old city. I have no idea what any of the words mean though.
I very much like the boardwalk running along the harbour. It stretches from the ferry terminals to Marjan hill and beyond. Too many cafes and restaurants to mention.
My first day in town I noticed a huge crowd gathering here. Camera crews were running around like crazy. I went to check it out and saw that it was a rally for some guy Stipe Mesic. I had no idea who he was then. But after numerous radio jingle ads and talking with people I found out he was running from president. Less then a week later while I was in Dubrovnik, Mr. Mesic was elected - which I believe was a good thing considering the other parties.
travelbug102's Related Pages
Split Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Varoš is the real soul of Split"
- "Diocletian-A Palace that Started a City"
- "Ouch, it's time to Split!"
- "Sunny days in Split"
- "Welcome to Split"
- "I will go back!"
- "A Town Inside A Medieval Palace..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Split
- Hotels in Split
- Transportation in Split
- Nightlife in Split
- Restaurants in Split
- Shopping in Split
- Warnings and Dangers in Split
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Split
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Split?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Split
Top 10 Pages
- Sarajevo Intro, 10 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Poland Intro, 35 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 12 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Slovenia Intro, 14 reviews, 15 photos
- Mostar Intro, 12 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Umbria 28 photos, 4 travelogues
- Stanjel Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos
- Kobarid 6 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Travnik Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Pocitelj Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos