"Not what I was expecting" Split by travelbug102

Split Travel Guide: 836 reviews and 2,306 photos

My first taste of Croatia was in Split after I took an overnight ferry from Ancona (Italy). It was the middle of January and I was shocked when I got off the boat to see how sunny it was. I was not expecting the palm trees and rows of scooters lining the boardwalk.

I love how Diocletian's Palace is just plopped right in the middle of the old town. It reminds me of Rome that way. Walk past a shop; grab a gelato and all of a sudden you're standing in the middle of a Roman ruin. Of the places I’ve been in ex-Yugoslavia, this place was the most reminiscent of Italy. Though I hear Istria is even more so.

Colorful

I noticed a lot of narrow streets and alleyways that had cool graffeti to them. I liked how it add a modern touch to such an old city. I have no idea what any of the words mean though.

Down on the Boardwalk

I very much like the boardwalk running along the harbour. It stretches from the ferry terminals to Marjan hill and beyond. Too many cafes and restaurants to mention.

My first day in town I noticed a huge crowd gathering here. Camera crews were running around like crazy. I went to check it out and saw that it was a rally for some guy Stipe Mesic. I had no idea who he was then. But after numerous radio jingle ads and talking with people I found out he was running from president. Less then a week later while I was in Dubrovnik, Mr. Mesic was elected - which I believe was a good thing considering the other parties.

• Last visit to Split: Jan 2000
  • Intro Updated Sep 4, 2005

travelbug102

“Friends first, food second, everything else will take of itself”

Badges & Stats in Split