"Lesotho - The Kingdom in the sky" Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho by MikeAtSea
Lesotho Travel Guide: 311 reviews and 861 photos
The Kingdom in the Sky - Lesotho is an unusual and often overlooked destination in Southern Africa. With the development the Lesotho Highland Water Project has delivered over the last 15 years it is now much easier to be accessed and offers visitors some of the most spectacular scenery in Southern Africa along roads that are technical master pieces.
Add that the country is safe and its people are extremely friendly Lesotho offers scenic drives, hikes, horse riding, dinosaur footprints and technical developments such as the Katse and Mohale Dams with plenty of places to stay and rest with great hospitality!
My thought that to explore the interior of Lesotho one would require a 4x4 and off-road experience was totally turned over during my recent trip to the Mountain Kingdom - with a normal sedan we drove over some of the highest mountain passes in Africa - without any trouble!
With a land area of approximately 30,000 km2 no part of the Country is below 1000 metres and much of the land consists of high mountains that reach their peak at Thabana-Ntlenyana, at 3,841m the highest point of Southern Africa.
Because of the altitude, the climate is well described as invigorating. Clean mountain air, spectacular blue skies, and brilliant sunshine for more than 300 days each year provide a wonderful climate that will restore even the most jaded traveller.
Summer extends from November to January and is usually hot, while winter lasts from May to July and brings snow to the mountains (although snow can fall on the highest peaks at any time of the year). Autumn days are long and warm, and are great for hiking and pony-trekking, while in the springtime (about August) the mountains are covered with alpine flowers and the valleys are decked with peach blossom and mimosa.
The majestic Maluti Mountains and the spectacular Drakensberg Range offer a magnificent backdrop to a near tropical destination that can provide a wide range of outdoor holiday activities.
South Africa surrounds this country completely - however Lesotho is totally independent from South Africa and hence... more travel advice
The Lesotho Sun is the premier hotel in the capital city of Lesotho Maseru. This is however a business hotel combined... more travel advice
MikeAtSea's Related Pages
Lesotho Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Three generations trek over the Roof of Africa!"
- "Lesotho - The Kingdom in the sky"
- "LESOTHO. THE KINGDOM OF THE SKY"
- "LESOTHO - KINGDOM IN THE SKY"
- "Basotho Village Treks"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lesotho
- Hotels in Lesotho
- Transportation in Lesotho
- Nightlife in Lesotho
- Restaurants in Lesotho
- Shopping in Lesotho
- Warnings and Dangers in Lesotho
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lesotho
- 31 Reviews
- 82 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Lesotho?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lesotho
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 80 reviews, 162 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 82 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durban Intro, 67 reviews, 77 photos
- Sydney Intro, 57 reviews, 71 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 29 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of KwaZulu-Natal Intro, 49 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 31 reviews, 82 photos
- Moscow Intro, 29 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia Intro, 34 reviews, 72 photos