"The Eastern Cape - The Go Wild Province" Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Eastern Cape by MikeAtSea
Province of Eastern Cape Travel Guide: 232 reviews and 460 photos
Where else can you surf the world’s biggest waves, ski down the only snow slopes in Africa, go on a `big seven’ safari, visit the birthplace of Nelson Mandela and bungee the highest bridge in the southern hemisphere? The Eastern Cape, of course!
The second largest of South Africa’s nine provinces, the diverse Eastern Cape landscape ranges from the dry desolate Great Karoo to the steamy forests of the Wild Coast and the Keiskamma Valley. The area also embraces the fertile Langkloof, renowned for its rich apple harvests, and is cradled by the mountainous southern Drakensberg.
Here, widespread hills are juxtaposed with sandy beaches; here small-town South Africa comes to greet you – gently offering hospitality and friendship and asking for nothing in return. This is where the `big seven’ roam, and where the tropical forests share their space with abundant birdlife and nature at its most generous.
The shoreline of this province extends from the Umtamvuna River in KwaZulu-Natal, to the Storms River mouth on the scenic Garden Route, in the west, and stretching inland, to the north, bordering on Lesotho. Today, the Eastern Cape incorporates the previously independent `homelands’ of the Ciskei and Transkei. Despite its colonial past, the Eastern Cape remains the home of the Xhosa-speaking people of South Africa.With its almost seven million people, the Eastern Cape has the third-largest provincial population, living on about 169 600 km2 of land.
There are several inter-city bus services that have daily schedules between all of the main centers. The most popular... more travel advice
Uitenhage is a large town in the Nelson Mandela Bay area and is situated at the foot of the Winterhoek Mountains. There... more travel advice
MikeAtSea's Related Pages
Province of Eastern Cape Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tsitsikamma and St Francis Bay"
- "A Great and diverse Province of South Africa"
- "Rainy Eastern Cape"
- "The Transkei Eastern Cape Mandela Country"
- "The Eastern Cape - The Go Wild Province"
- "Wild and serene ~ The Eastern Cape"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Province of Eastern Cape
- Hotels in Province of Eastern Cape
- Transportation in Province of Eastern Cape
- Nightlife in Province of Eastern Cape
- Restaurants in Province of Eastern Cape
- Shopping in Province of Eastern Cape
- Warnings and Dangers in Province of Eastern Cape
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Province of Eastern Cape
- 39 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Province of Eastern Cape?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Province of Eastern Cape
Photos in Province of Eastern CapeSee All Photos (42)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 80 reviews, 162 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 82 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durban Intro, 67 reviews, 77 photos
- Sydney Intro, 57 reviews, 71 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 29 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of KwaZulu-Natal Intro, 49 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 31 reviews, 82 photos
- Moscow Intro, 29 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia Intro, 34 reviews, 72 photos