"Germany in the Desert" Top 5 Page for this destination Swakopmund by MikeAtSea
Swakopmund Travel Guide: 113 reviews and 525 photos
Swakopmund is much loved by Namibians as a welcome respite from the heat of the interior. It has also become popular over the years with many foreign tourists because of its old-world charm and relaxed atmosphere.
Founded in 1892 during the period of German colonization of South West Africa, Swakopmund served as the terretories main port for many years.
The German influence in this city is still very visible, even though that the German colonial time ended during the First World War in 1915.
Quaint architecture from a bygone era adds to the time out of place atmosphere of Swakopmund. When approached from the interior, domes, turrets and towers on the skyline appear as a hazy desert mirage. Much of the distinct German colonial character has been preserved and don't be surprised if the natives speak to you in fluent German.
Namibia has got its own currency - the Namibian Dollar. The currency is en-par with the South African Rand, which is... more travel advice
Built between 1903 and 1906 the Otavi Railway transported copper ore from Tsumeb close to the Etosha National Park to... more travel advice
MikeAtSea's Related Pages
Swakopmund Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BEST BEACH RESORT IN NAMIBIA"
- "Germany in the Desert"
- "Swakopmund - city at the misty coast of Namibia"
- ""And the weather forecast for today is 14 and 22""
- "A german spot in an african desert"
- "Diary Swakopmund"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Swakopmund
- Hotels in Swakopmund
- Transportation in Swakopmund
- Nightlife in Swakopmund
- Restaurants in Swakopmund
- Shopping in Swakopmund
- Warnings and Dangers in Swakopmund
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Swakopmund
- 31 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Swakopmund?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Swakopmund
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 80 reviews, 162 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 82 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durban Intro, 67 reviews, 77 photos
- Sydney Intro, 57 reviews, 71 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 29 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of KwaZulu-Natal Intro, 49 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 31 reviews, 82 photos
- Moscow Intro, 29 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia Intro, 34 reviews, 72 photos