"Shimonoseki - Capital of Fugo" Shimonoseki by MikeAtSea
Shimonoseki Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 53 photos
Shimonoseki is situated in the extreme southwestern Honshû Island, in Yamaguchi Prefecture. It is opposite the city of Kitakyûshû, on Kyûshû Island, to which it is connected by railroad and highway tunnels. Shimonoseki is a major fishing port and has important industries, including shipyards, engineering works, metalworks, chemical plants, textile mills, and canneries. The principal tourist attraction is the Shinto shrine dedicated to the Japanese child emperor Antoku. Shimonoseki, previously known as Akamagaseki and popularly called Bakan, was the scene of the signing of the treaty ending the Sino-Japanese War of 1894-95. It is home to a population of around 300.000.
All around the city one can eat the fugo or balloon fish. This highly toxic fish is delicacy here, and chefs have special methods in cutting the fish to ensure that their clients don't die when eating the fish.
The ports, major shopping areas and business areas of the largest city in Yamaguchi Prefecture are clustered around JR... more travel advice
A collection of smaller temples and shrines are connected by a trail system that starts east of Shimonoseki Station and... more travel advice
MikeAtSea's Related Pages
Shimonoseki Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Shimonoseki is famous for the Blowfish"
- "Shimonoseki - Capital of Fugo"
- "Shimonoseki - Yamaguchi Prefecture"
- "Crazy Fugu town and Place of the Musashi duel"
- "Pusan, Korea- Shimonoseki Ferry Information"
- "Shimonoseki, Japan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Shimonoseki
- Transportation in Shimonoseki
- Restaurants in Shimonoseki
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Shimonoseki
- 9 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Shimonoseki?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shimonoseki
Photos in ShimonosekiSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 80 reviews, 162 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 82 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durban Intro, 67 reviews, 77 photos
- Sydney Intro, 57 reviews, 71 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 29 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of KwaZulu-Natal Intro, 49 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 31 reviews, 82 photos
- Moscow Intro, 29 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia Intro, 34 reviews, 72 photos