"The Keys - Caribbean Paradise" Top 5 Page for this destination Florida Keys by MikeAtSea

Florida Keys Travel Guide: 249 reviews and 671 photos

One of my biggest travel wishes became reality in January 2004 when I was able to do a ships visit in Key West. The offer of a plane ticket to Key West I turned down since I always wanted to drive the road down. And what a road it is!! The sunshine state offered the best weather and conditions for my exploration down South!

The Florida Keys is an archipelago of about 1700 islands in the southeast United States. They begin at the southeastern tip of the Florida peninsula, about 15 miles south of Miami, and extend in a gentle arc south-southwest and then westward to Key West, the westernmost of the inhabited islands, and on to the uninhabited Dry Tortugas. The islands lie along the Florida Straits, dividing the Atlantic Ocean to the east from the Gulf of Mexico to the west, and defining one edge of Florida Bay. At the nearest point, the southern tip of Key West is just 90 miles or 145 km from Cuba.

For many years the only way to get to the Keys was by boat - since they are an island chain. From 1910 onwards the today discontinued railway operated and some bridges were built do connect the Florida Keys to the mainland. 1935 was a bad year for the Keys since a massive hurricane destroyed large sections of Florida gusting with winds in excess of 250 km/h and 8 to 10 meter waves. Some 600 people died in this storm and part of the Keys were destroyed. Many of the bridges that are used today were built after the storm.

• Last visit to Florida Keys: Jan 2005
  • Intro Updated Nov 29, 2006

• HotRodEtte's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2007 at 1:14 PM

I love me some Key West!! This was my absolute favorite place I've ever been in the US. It even topped Vegas, and I love my Vegas. Nice page! I can't wait to go back!

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2006 at 5:49 AM

Nice job! I want to go there one day soon.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2006 at 11:42 AM

Nice trip report of Key West. Haven't been there. So close to Cuba, wonder if Conch Republic has normalized relations with Havanna. He he he. Cheers, SL

MikeAtSea

“Travel with your eyes wide open and experience the world!”

Badges & Stats in Florida Keys

Have you been to Florida Keys?

Latest Activity in Florida Keys