"Cape Canaveral - The Gateway to Space" Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Canaveral by MikeAtSea
Cape Canaveral Travel Guide: 178 reviews and 518 photos
The humble beginnings of the gate to space started in the 1950’s when the first missiles and rockets were tested at nearby Cape Canaveral Air Force Base, this was before NASA was created on the 1st of October 1958.
President John F. Kennedy challenged in 1961 to land men on the moon and to return them safe to earth before the end of the 1960’s.
Henceforth the Kennedy Space Centre was opened in 1962. A year later Kennedy was assassinated and to honour the man who brought speed into the US space program the centre carried his name.
The first US citizen in space was Alan Shepard who completed the first sub-orbital flight on May 5th, 1961, soon to be followed by John Glenn who was the first US citizen to circle the earth three times on February 20th, 1962.
During the years 1965 and 1966 NASA launched 10 space flights using two-man Gemini spacecraft flying with Titan II rockets. The next generation or rockets were the Saturn rockets that flew the unmanned Apollo 5 into space. The rockets weight was more then 6.5 million pounds – an unimaginable force needed to lift those slowly into the sky.
All this made way for the first landing on the moon which was then achieved on July 16th, 1969 when Apollo 11 lifted of the earth and reached the moon four days later, Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin being the first humans to reach the moon.
For more then 30 years now the Kennedy Space Centre has hosted millions of visitors to inform about the US space program and also to see the launch pads and the facilities used for the exploration of our universe. The Kennedy Space Centre covers an area of more then 34.000 hectares and is home to one of the world’s longest runways and the US’s biggest building.
Today the Space Centre is used as launching and landing site for the Space Shuttle NASA’s reusable space plane which was first launched in 1961.
Okay at some stage if you hire a car the car will need to be re-filled. Every country has different methods how to fill... more travel advice
The land that is used as restricted areas is today a haven for nature. Many water ways and swamps are home to more then... more travel advice
MikeAtSea's Related Pages
Cape Canaveral Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "P O R T Canaveral... I want PORT Canaveral"
- "Our First Cruise"
- "Cape Canaveral & the Space Coast"
- "Cape Canaveral - The Gateway to Space"
- "Cape Canveral"
- "Space Travel Or Bust (!) - CAPE CANAVERAL"
- "Kennedy Space Center/Cape Canaveral"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cape Canaveral
- Hotels in Cape Canaveral
- Transportation in Cape Canaveral
- Nightlife in Cape Canaveral
- Restaurants in Cape Canaveral
- Shopping in Cape Canaveral
- Warnings and Dangers in Cape Canaveral
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cape Canaveral
- 24 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Cape Canaveral?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cape Canaveral
Photos in Cape CanaveralSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 80 reviews, 162 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 82 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durban Intro, 67 reviews, 77 photos
- Sydney Intro, 57 reviews, 71 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 29 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of KwaZulu-Natal Intro, 49 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 31 reviews, 82 photos
- Moscow Intro, 29 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia Intro, 34 reviews, 72 photos