"Across the Bering Sea" Top 5 Page for this destination Dutch Harbor by MikeAtSea
Dutch Harbor Travel Guide: 80 reviews and 118 photos
Leaving the shores of Russia behind we headed for the USA. One of my most unusual voyages began already in Tokyo and with spectacular sights along the Kyrill Islands heading for Petropavlosk in Kamtchatka the next port would be on the other side of the Bering Sea.
The Aleutian Islands are the chain of islands which head towards the West of Alaska.
The main fishing industry of the US lays there due to the rich waters of the Northern Pacific Ocean. This is something we explored when we left the ship after arriving in Dutch Harbor. A miserable day in the middle of summer was our welcome. We were told this is how the weather generally is, windy, wet and gray with a few sunny days.
Dutch Harbor on the island of Unalaska is home to some 5000 residents, all from what I could see make their living from the seafood industry or the few others from government posts.
The town itself is rather pretty situated with the mountains surrounding the bay where our ship docked.
The old Russian Orthodox Church which was build in 1825 still showcases some of the old Russian influence. Other historical sights are from the time when Japanese forces attacked the Aleutian Islands and Aleuts were forcefully evacuated and resettled in South Western Alaska. An an impressive array of weathered military sites, concrete pillboxes and bunkers can still be seen all around the island.
The island lays almost 3 hours flight from Anchorage and more then 2000 km North West of Seattle. Daily scheduled flights serve the community at the paved runway. A seaplane base is also available. The State Ferry operates bi-monthly from Kodiak between April and October.
National Historical Landmarks
• Holy Ascension Orthodox Church (built 1824-1827)
• Sitka Spruce Park (planted by Russians in 1805)
• Fort Mears (WWII Army Garrison)
Other Places to Visit
• Bishop’s House (built in 1882)
• Unalaska Cemetery (historic international cemetery)
• Memorial Park
• Naval Radio Station (the "Brick Building")
• WWII Stockade (also called Concentration Camp)
• Bunker Hill (excellent viewpoint)
• Jesse Lee Home (est. in late 1800’s)
Arriving in Dutch Harbour in summer it was freezing cold and snow was seen everywhere still. Hence one packing advise... more travel advice
Another Airline that operates flights to Dutch Harbour is Alaska Airlines. Flights can be booked online at their web... more travel advice
MikeAtSea's Related Pages
Dutch Harbor Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Unalaska was Home for 17 Years"
- "An Interesting Diversion"
- "Dutch Harbor -- As Far West as You Can "Drive""
- "Across the Bering Sea"
- "My Walkabout in Alaska"
- "This is the start of a Bering Sea/Dutch Harbor pag"
- "Mike_Hess's new Dutch Harbor Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dutch Harbor
- Hotels in Dutch Harbor
- Transportation in Dutch Harbor
- Nightlife in Dutch Harbor
- Restaurants in Dutch Harbor
- Warnings and Dangers in Dutch Harbor
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dutch Harbor
- 11 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Dutch Harbor?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dutch Harbor
Photos in Dutch HarborSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 80 reviews, 162 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 82 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durban Intro, 67 reviews, 77 photos
- Sydney Intro, 57 reviews, 71 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 29 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of KwaZulu-Natal Intro, 49 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 31 reviews, 82 photos
- Moscow Intro, 29 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia Intro, 34 reviews, 72 photos