"Torshavn - Capital of the Faroe Islands" Top 5 Page for this destination Tórshavn by MikeAtSea
Tórshavn Travel Guide: 132 reviews and 343 photos
Torshaven is situated in the centre of the Faroe Islands.
As long ago as the landnam period Torshaven became the central meeting place. Compared to the landnam standard the place was poor, the soil meagre and the summers were misty and cold. There was little driftwood to build houses, no cliffs with seabird colonies and the town was difficult to protect. Moreover the harbour conditions were inadequate in comparison to the rest of the Faroe Islands, making the place unsuitable for settlement.
However, it was central enough and so it was here where people met at the parliament as well as for legal judgement. The annual sitting of the parliament brough about an early development to a permanent trading town.
When the isles came under Norwegian rule and later under Danish rule, businesses were set up and permanent government officials made Torshavn their home. A fort was built to protect the traders. Labourers and soldiers were drawn from the poor and have-nots on the isles.
Whilst the Royal monopoly trade was still in force a man named Niels Ryberg obtained permission to beging a transit trade in Vagsbotnur. New skills were required amongst the inhabitants who taught themselves local crafts, to salt fish and to dry split cod. The expansion of Torshavn there for was programmed.
When monopoly trading was abolished in 1856 and free trade was introduced, development took off in a big way. The Faroese seafishing trade started in Torshavn. Owing to the poor harbour facilities the fishing developed faster in small settlements. Clearly it was imperative that Torshavn should have a good harbour and at last in 1927 it became reality.
Toshavn only became an official market town in 1909 and community was then still growing.
1974 the town has joined with Kaldbak and Hoyvik increasing the boroughs size threefold.
In 1801 the population of Torshavn was 554. By 1950 it had increased 10 times to 5607 and in 1985 it reached 13507.
Today Torshavn is a modern active town with trade, industry and administration; with schools and more further educational establishments, with sport facilities and even a national soccer team! A lively and pleasent town!
The Faroe Islands also have a Nobel Prize winner and the memorial is to honour this important Torshavn born citizen of... more travel advice
Tinganes is the historic location of the Faroese løgting and is a part of Torshavn. The name means "parliament jetty" or... more travel advice
MikeAtSea's Related Pages
Tórshavn Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Little Capital City That Could"
- "Tórshavn - Europes Forgotten Capital"
- "Torshavn - Capital of the Faroe Islands"
- "At last, I have managed to get to the Færoes"
- ""The smallest capital city in the world""
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tórshavn
- Hotels in Tórshavn
- Transportation in Tórshavn
- Restaurants in Tórshavn
- Shopping in Tórshavn
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tórshavn
- 24 Reviews
- 64 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (96)
Have you been to Tórshavn?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tórshavn
Photos in TórshavnSee All Photos (64)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 80 reviews, 162 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 82 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durban Intro, 67 reviews, 77 photos
- Sydney Intro, 57 reviews, 71 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 29 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of KwaZulu-Natal Intro, 49 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 31 reviews, 82 photos
- Moscow Intro, 29 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia Intro, 34 reviews, 72 photos