"Kotor - Jewel at the southernmost European Fjord" Kotor by MikeAtSea
Kotor Travel Guide: 551 reviews and 1,279 photos
Sailing along the southernmost Fjord in Europe one reaches the ancient Jewel of Kotor. Surrounded by mountains this the old town of Kotor is one of the best-preserved medieval towns in this part of the Mediterranean.
The town has kept its typical architecture as it was found in the 12th to the 14th centuries.
The asymmetric structure of the narrow streets and squares, combined with the numerous valuable monuments of medieval architecture, contributed to Kotor being placed on UNESCO's “The world natural and cultural heritage” list. The cultural heritage of this town is enriched by the unique architectural styles and the ambient atmosphere. The fortification system of Kotor, which protects it from the sea, is actually a wall 4.5 km long, 20 m high and 15 m wide, and is preserved as one of the world's historic values.
Kotor is a coastal town in Montenegro. It is located in a most secluded part of Gulf of Kotor. The town has a population of 13,510, and is administrative center of Kotor municipality. The old Mediterranean port of Kotor, surrounded by an impressive city wall built by House of Nemanjic, is very well preserved and protected by UNESCO.
Between 1420 and 1797, Kotor and its surroundings were under the rule of the Republic of Venice and the Venetian influence remains among the architectural influences. The Boka Kotorska (Gulf of Kotor), one of the most indented parts of the Adriatic Sea is sometimes called the southern-most fjord in Europe, although it is actually a submerged river canyon. With the nearly overhanging limestone cliffs of Orjen and Lovcen one of the great Mediterranean landscapes is created. In recent years, Kotor has seen a steady increase in tourists attracted by both the natural beauty of the Boka Kotorska and the old town of Kotor itself.
The Flag of Montenegro was adopted in 2004 and henceforth is one of the "youngest" flags and national symbols in Europe.... more travel advice
A short distance away from Kotor situated on two islands in the middle of Kotor Fjord. The island of St. George is an... more travel advice
MikeAtSea's Related Pages
Kotor Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kotor and Europe's Deepest Fjord"
- "K O T O R"
- "Kotor Rebuilt"
- "The jewel of Montenegro"
- "WELCOME TO KOTOR!!!!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kotor
- Hotels in Kotor
- Transportation in Kotor
- Nightlife in Kotor
- Restaurants in Kotor
- Shopping in Kotor
- Warnings and Dangers in Kotor
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Kotor
- 5 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Kotor?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kotor
Photos in KotorSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 80 reviews, 162 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 82 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durban Intro, 67 reviews, 77 photos
- Sydney Intro, 57 reviews, 71 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 29 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of KwaZulu-Natal Intro, 49 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 31 reviews, 82 photos
- Moscow Intro, 29 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia Intro, 34 reviews, 72 photos