"The Falklands - Britain in the South Atlantic" Top 5 Page for this destination Falkland Islands by MikeAtSea
Falkland Islands Travel Guide: 244 reviews and 553 photos
Just a stone throw away from the South American continent in a strategic position are the Falkland Islands.
A 18 hours flight from the "Motherland" Britain will get you here or a one day boat voyage from Ushuaia in Argentina.
Far away from Britain on the other side of the world these enchanting islands offer contradictions with wild and windswept mountains overlooking white sand beaches, treeless landscapes teeming with captivating wildlife and inhibited by a tiny community of welcoming people.
The Falkland Islands were first sighted in 1592 by British seafarer Captain John Davis on the ship Desire, however it took almost another 100 years until the first landing was recorded, when Captain John Strong landed on the Falklands in 1690. British administration started that day and was only interrupted on April 2, 1982 when Argentina attacked and invaded the islands. A British expedition force restored British sovereignty on June 14, 1982 with a massive onslaught against the Argentine Armed Forces.
Today some 1500 British military personal are stationed on the island to ensure that another attack will not be forthcoming, since Argentina still claims that these islands are part of its territory.
Next to some 2500 inhabitants of the islands, of which most live in Stanley. They have to share the islands with plenty of wildlife; one can find 185 different species of birds, some 500.000 breeding pairs of penguins, elephant seals, dolphins, whales, and much more in this terrific nature paradise.
This is an unusual destination - but an exciting and enchanting island group to visit. When I realized that it was on my schedule I was more then excited, and was not disappointed when I explored this friendly town and its surrounding!
This page is a summary of tips - for more detailed information please visit my Stanley and Bleaker Island pages.
nly just over 2500 inhabitants life on the island - and they have their own currency - The Falkland Pound- notes and... more travel advice
Scheduled flights from Europe or other parts of the world are with LAN Chile via Santiago de Chile and Punta Arenas.... more travel advice
MikeAtSea's Related Pages
Falkland Islands Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Falkland Islands 2000-2001 & 2004"
- "Sharrie's Falkland Islands Cove"
- "The Falklands - Britain in the South Atlantic"
- "It Rains a Lot ...... Just Like Home"
- "A piece of Britain in the South Atlantic"
- "Welcome to the Falkland Islands"
- "4 months on 1312 flight"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Falkland Islands
- Hotels in Falkland Islands
- Transportation in Falkland Islands
- Nightlife in Falkland Islands
- Restaurants in Falkland Islands
- Shopping in Falkland Islands
- Warnings and Dangers in Falkland Islands
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Falkland Islands
- 69 Reviews
- 81 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (64)
Have you been to Falkland Islands?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Falkland Islands
Photos in Falkland IslandsSee All Photos (81)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 80 reviews, 162 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 82 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durban Intro, 67 reviews, 77 photos
- Sydney Intro, 57 reviews, 71 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 29 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of KwaZulu-Natal Intro, 49 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 31 reviews, 82 photos
- Moscow Intro, 29 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia Intro, 34 reviews, 72 photos