"The White Continent" Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica by MikeAtSea

Antarctica Travel Guide: 1,167 reviews and 2,706 photos

One of my most spectacular trips has been to the White continent. Crossing the Drake passage from South America the barren and vast land of Antarctica was reached within two days. The combination of rugged mountains, huge floating ice bergs, the colonies of seals and penguins all around were mesmerizing - an adventure of unreal proportions.
Yet at the same time the changes in climate were evident with warm temperatures. Would you believe that I got sunburned on the coldest continent on earth? A swim in Antarctic waters was one of the crazier things done.
Yet the numerous visits to the Antarctic Research Stations of Britain, Russia, Chile and Argentina gave a view of the work done by those countries with research and also the glimpse of foreign cultures right next to each other at the end of the world.
It was an unforgettable time and I am enchanted by the beauty of this isolated continent.

My Itinerary

Monday 22nd of January 2007 - We arrived at Elephant Island - the first sight of the Antarctic Islands was spectacular. Stunning weather, calm seas and clear skies allowed a sensational view of the island where Sir Ernest Shackleton's men waited for rescue for more then 4 months.
Tuesday 23rd of January 2007 - During the night we had to alter course, pack ice was in front of us, where it should not have been - we diverted and arrived at the Alley of Icebergs in the morning to continue along the Antarctic Sound. Heavy ice again blocked our way and we had to make a 360 degree turn. My first steps on Antarctic mainland were taken at Browns Bluff, amazing sight right next to the Antarctic Sound where we encountered some of the largest icebergs on earth, again clear skies and a sensational day!!
Wednesday 24th of January 2007 - Heading towards Deception Island we encountered 40 knot winds, a landing was impossible here. Changed course to King Edward Island. Here the most incredible happened... mobile phones are working! Yes you have read right, you can now even use your mobile phone in Antarctica! The signal came from the Chilean research station that I visited as well as Bellinghausen, the Russian research station right next door! Another incredible day in Antarctica, sunny, warm and clear skies!!
Thursday 25th of January 2007 Arrived at Port Lockroy the former British Antarctic Station and today home to the Antarctic museum. Again we have a stunning calm and sunny day. The ship is surrounded by floating ice - another sensational day! The visit to Port Lockroy was another highlight. The historical British Antarctic Station does not only offer a great museum but also a rookery of thousands of Gentoo Penguins with chicks. What an experience!
Friday 26th of January 2007 Today has been the furthest south I have ever been - 66° 33′ 39″ - the Antarctic Circle was crossed. Surrounded by mountains, glaciers and icebergs we continue south.
Saturday 27th of January 2007 Neko Harbour - what a sight! Through dense pack ice, surrounded by massive glaciers we went through deep valleys. I went for a swim today - in Antarctic water. Water temperature 0.3 degrees C - I lasted about 20 seconds!!! Okay I guess I am nuts :-)
Sunday 28th of January 2007 Arrived at the Argentinian research station Admiral Brown - again it is a calm day.

• Last visit to Antarctica: Jan 2007
  • Intro Updated Aug 9, 2007

• Updated Comment
    Sharrie's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2009 at 7:17 PM

You did it, you had the fun of your life & it's definitely most memorable of all trips... that's what counts in life! It's a place I'd go back without hesitation again, ahem, as long as someone else is picking up the bills!!! :-)

Other comments
  • hunterV's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2011 at 12:26 AM

Hello, Michael! ~ Great experience! It would be an unforgettable voyage for anyone else! Thanx for sharing!

• abi_maha's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2009 at 9:21 PM

WOW!! This is so fantastic- tabular icebergs, penguin kindergarten, paradise bays, stations....to good! :) Am not sure I will ever get to visit antartica, but sure am glad I got to read your page!

• jusdenise93's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2009 at 9:41 AM

Great page on Antarctica! I really want to go down there someday, and see those ice bergs mysef. :) Someday.. -Denise

• SONG's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2008 at 7:42 PM

I had friends who took the antarctica trip and I spent HOURS devouring their albums. I am awe-struck with their and your bravery. Thanks for sharing.

• elp's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2008 at 9:12 AM

Great page. I loved the swiming pool. I would like to try... :-)

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2008 at 1:58 AM

Fantastic page of a great area.Thx for sharing.

• Cristian_Uluru's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2008 at 1:14 AM

Wonderful page!!! I hope to make this journey one day!!! Thanks for sharing! ciao

• csordila's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2008 at 11:49 AM

A friend of mine took part also on a similar excursion at the beginning of the 90 years, but the considerable part of his photos got lost on the airport. Now I may have seen beautiful pictures about such an excursion finally. Congratulation ! L.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2008 at 9:13 AM

Revisiting your Antartica page. Great photos of wildlife and icebergs. Wish I could get a postcard sent from each of the different national postal stations there. Greed here.

MikeAtSea

“Travel with your eyes wide open and experience the world!”

Badges & Stats in Antarctica

• 1 Countries

Have you been to Antarctica?

Latest Activity in Antarctica