"Vladivostok – Siberian Gateway" Top 5 Page for this destination Vladivostok by MikeAtSea
Vladivostok Travel Guide: 229 reviews and 533 photos
Vladivostok’s beginning started with the ratification of the "Aigunski Dogovor" between Russia and China in 1858, as an outcome of the Agreement Russia had obtained the seashore territory of the east of the country.
The first task was to find a non-freezing way into the pacific and to build a port. Soon the first settlement was developed in the bay which is today Vladivostok and with the ship Manchzhur the first settlers landed here with Captain Komarov in 1861.
A further boosts was given to the region when Tsar Nickolai, the heir of the Russian crown, visited Vladivostok and the ground work for the longest rail road in the world from Moscow to Vladivostok was started. He also initiated the building of a dry dock in the port.
In 1915 a large fortress was build which is known to be the best sea fortress in the world.
The October revolution also entered here in Vladivostok, most of the beautiful buildings that resembled something of the glory of the Tsarist times were destroyed.
For many years Vladivostok due to its strategic importance and massive Pacific fleet in port was a restricted area.
I found Vladivostok as a charming and interesting town far up from what I have seen in Western Russia. Yet people here seemed to be less enthusiastic about the changes that have taken place in the former Soviet Union and it appears that a lot of the economic reforms only reach here slowly. The mafia controls a lot of the business in the city and hence hampers a lot of possible growth.
The city is built on hills and offers a lot of view points across the bay and port.
One of the ways to get to Vladivostok is by rail. The direct train link from Moscow is the longest running railway in... more travel advice
One of the most famous Russian souvenirs is also available here in Vladivostok – the Mamushkas painted with Russian or... more travel advice
MikeAtSea's Related Pages
Vladivostok Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The closest European City to Japan!!!"
- "VLADIVOSTOK: EASTERN MYSTERY"
- "Vladivostok – Siberian Gateway"
- "The Russian Far East is about as far as you can go"
- "The end of the line"
- "Vladivostok: unless once in a life!"
- "East End of Russia, Vladivostok"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vladivostok
- Hotels in Vladivostok
- Transportation in Vladivostok
- Nightlife in Vladivostok
- Restaurants in Vladivostok
- Shopping in Vladivostok
- Warnings and Dangers in Vladivostok
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Vladivostok
- 18 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Vladivostok?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vladivostok
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 80 reviews, 162 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 82 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durban Intro, 67 reviews, 77 photos
- Sydney Intro, 57 reviews, 71 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 29 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of KwaZulu-Natal Intro, 49 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 31 reviews, 82 photos
- Moscow Intro, 29 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia Intro, 34 reviews, 72 photos
Latest Vladivostok hotel reviews
- Hotel Amursky Zaliv & Hotel Vladivostok
- 37 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 9, 2013
- Hotel Hyundai
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 12, 2013
- Gavan Hotel Vladivostok
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 3, 2012
- Vlad Motor Inn
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 25, 2013
- Vizit Vladivostok Hotel
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
- Hotel Vladivostok
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Best Eastern Versailles Hotel
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 15, 2013
- Hotel Equator
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 17, 2013