"Mariehamn - Castles and Countryside" Top 5 Page for this destination Mariehamn by MikeAtSea
Mariehamn Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 91 photos
Mariehamn was named after Marie Alexandrovna, the Empress consort of Alexander II of Russia. Founded in 1861, the city is located on a peninsula and is known as the “town of a thousand linden trees”.
Åland and Mariehamn have a reputable heritage in shipping. The Flying P-Liner Pommern museum ship is anchored in the Western Harbour. The Eastern Harbour features one of the largest marinas in Scandinavia. The famous Dutch steamer Jan Nieveen (now called F.P. von Knorring, after Åland teacher and vicar Frans Peter von Knorring) can also be found here.
The main pedestrian street, Torggatan, is a colourful and crowded hive of activity, and together with good museums, offers the visitor a leisurely day’s exploration.
Quiet honestly I have never seen an Åland number plate elsewhere except on Åland, but there are only some 27.000... more travel advice
The pedestrian street Torggatan has all the souvenir shops, cafés and restaurants you could wish for. The most pleasing... more travel advice
MikeAtSea's Related Pages
Mariehamn Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Perfect summer place"
- "The Capital of Aland"
- "Mariehamn - Castles and Countryside"
- "A day in Mariehamn"
- "Maarianhamina the capital of Åland"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mariehamn
- Hotels in Mariehamn
- Transportation in Mariehamn
- Nightlife in Mariehamn
- Restaurants in Mariehamn
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mariehamn
- 6 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Mariehamn?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mariehamn
Photos in MariehamnSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 80 reviews, 162 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 82 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durban Intro, 67 reviews, 77 photos
- Sydney Intro, 57 reviews, 71 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 29 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of KwaZulu-Natal Intro, 49 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 31 reviews, 82 photos
- Moscow Intro, 29 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia Intro, 34 reviews, 72 photos