"Vasa - Where past and present meet" Top 5 Page for this destination Vasa by MikeAtSea
Vasa Travel Guide: 46 reviews and 106 photos
In Vaasa the past and the present meet: local enterprises, distinctive cultural life, two languages, international industry and the tranquility of a small town.
This bilingual town’s leafy avenues, large parks and green shoreline owes its foundation to the Empire-style town plan drawn up by the architect Carl Axel Setterberg in 1855. Vaasa is Finland’s sunniest town, and the sun echoes the warmth that the town’s inhabitants exudes, in its bustling market, in its business life, in its friendly service.
After a fire that gutted the entire town in 1852 almost all had to be rebuilt. The new town of Nikolaistad rose in 1862 about seven kilometres to the northwest from the old town. The town's coastal location offered good conditions for seafaring. The town plan was planned by Carl Axel Setterberg in the Empire style. In the master plan the disastrous consequences of the fire were considered. Main streets in the new town were five broad avenues which divided the town into sections. Each block was divided by alleys.
The town was promptly renamed Vasa after the Tsar Nicholas II was overthrown in 1917.
The Vaasa Church was planned by architect C.A. Setterberg and consecrated in 1869. The church built in an English... more travel advice
Whilst visiting the archipelago one can admire the typical Finnish Summer Cottages, some displaying very unique styles... more travel advice
MikeAtSea's Related Pages
Vasa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Vaasa, a diversified town by the sea"
- "Vasa - Where past and present meet"
- "VASA - FINLAND"
- "Mario's Vasa page"
- "Sunniest town in Finland"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vasa
- Hotels in Vasa
- Transportation in Vasa
- Nightlife in Vasa
- Restaurants in Vasa
- Shopping in Vasa
- Warnings and Dangers in Vasa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vasa
- 5 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (97)
Have you been to Vasa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vasa
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 80 reviews, 162 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 82 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durban Intro, 67 reviews, 77 photos
- Sydney Intro, 57 reviews, 71 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 29 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of KwaZulu-Natal Intro, 49 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 31 reviews, 82 photos
- Moscow Intro, 29 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia Intro, 34 reviews, 72 photos