"Scenic Cruising & Flåm Railway" Top 5 Page for this destination Flåm by MikeAtSea
Flåm Travel Guide: 128 reviews and 335 photos
Exploring Norway’s fjord region is a memorable experience for even the most seasoned traveler. Cutting deep into the mountainous terrain, craggy rock walls and overhanging cliffs characterize the scenic wonder of the
fjords. Gudvangen lies at the head of the Nærøyfjord, an offspring of the Sognefjord and Aurlandsfjord. Waterfalls line the steep mountainsides and goat farms lie scattered about the green valleys. Surrounded by peaks as high as 5,000 feet, Gudvangen is an important ferry point and a popular stopover for motorists.
While Gudvangen is little more than a tiny hamlet, it is a popular gateway for scenic mountain trips starting or ending in this port.
The tiny village of Flåm lies hemmed in on three sides by the towering walls of the Aurlandsfjord. The Aurlandsfjord is a branch of the Sognefjord — the
longest and deepest fjord in Europe. Flåm’s appeal is its magnificent surroundings, ranging from fertile farmland to crystalclear streams and owering mountains.
Flåm is also the terminus of one of the most exciting train rides in the world - the Flåm Railway. Climbing 2,850 feet (877 metres) in just 12 miles (19 km), past cascading waterfalls and through 20 tunnels blasted out of owering mountains.
Flåm is a Norwegian village with some 500 inhabitants, at the inner end of the Aurlandsfjord, an arm of the Sognefjord. The town is located in the municipality of Aurland, in Sogn og Fjordane county.
The name Flåm is documented as early as 1340 as Flaam. It is derived from the plural dative form of the Old Norse word flá meaning "plain, flat piece of land", and it refers to the flood plains of the Flåm River.
The village of Flåm is a popular tourist destination and has been so since the late 19th century. It currently receives almost 450,000 visitors a year. the harbour of Flåm receives some 131 cruise ships per year.
Most of the tips on this page come from my last visit where I left the ship in Gudvangen and re-joined the ship in Flåm, travelling passed the magnificent valleys to Stalheim then onto Voss and with a normal train to Myrdal and back to Flåm with the Flåmrailway.
Stalheimsfossen and Sivlefossen are the two giant waterfalls tumbling alongside the serpentine road Stalheimskleiva.... more travel advice
The Nærøyfjord is one of the narrowest fjords in Norway. It is about 17 kilometers long, and a branch of the large fjord... more travel advice
MikeAtSea's Related Pages
Flåm Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "There is more to Flam than the Flamsbana"
- "Scenic Cruising & Flåm Railway"
- "MORE TROLLS AT FLAM!"
- "Little place between steep mountains"
- "Norway in a Nutshell Trip"
- "FLÅM and AURLANDSDALEN"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Flåm
- Hotels in Flåm
- Transportation in Flåm
- Restaurants in Flåm
- Shopping in Flåm
- Warnings and Dangers in Flåm
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Flåm
- 18 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Flåm?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Flåm
Photos in FlåmSee All Photos (50)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 80 reviews, 162 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 82 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durban Intro, 67 reviews, 77 photos
- Sydney Intro, 57 reviews, 71 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 29 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of KwaZulu-Natal Intro, 49 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 31 reviews, 82 photos
- Moscow Intro, 29 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia Intro, 34 reviews, 72 photos